At the UW, instructors may use Panopto to record their courses so students can review the material later. We strongly encourage instructors to take advantage of this easy way to support student learning.
Panopto offers many features to make viewing recordings easier. Read on to learn more and follow links to Panopto documentation of key viewing features. Some of the screens may look a little different, and some functionality may not be available at the UW.
Access Panopto: When viewing a recording embedded in Canvas or a web page, click the title of the recording to play it. You can often locate your course recordings through the Panopto Recordings link or the Assignments link in the left navigation in Canvas. Access Panopto using the Canvas sign-in. You may also access Panopto directly, but it may be easier to locate and access recordings in Canvas.
- Video library navigation: If you are not starting in Canvas, you may find recordings and support in Panopto.
- Viewing overview: Learn more about viewing recordings.
- Viewing controls: Adjust volume, review previous 10 seconds, navigate to relevant content and change viewing speed. Use keywords to search text, including bookmarks, notes and PowerPoint slides.
- Bookmarks: Bookmark a specific time in a recording and come back to it later.
- Discussions: If enabled by your instructor, discuss a recording, leave public comments or ask questions.
- Notes: Make time-stamped notes while viewing a recording. By default, your notes are private but you can share them publicly with anyone who has access to the recording.
- Mobile App: View recordings on mobile devices. The UW address is https://uw.hosted.panopto.com. Offline viewing is off by default, but instructors may select to allow it. Canvas: Using the Canvas app to view Panopto recordings will offer a choice to open recordings in the Panopto app or view them in a browser. View in browser offers varied scalability for recordings depending on the locations (navigation tab or embedded).
- Find recordings: Access recordings several ways. They can be found in the Canvas navigation under Panopto Recordings, contained in Canvas Modules, embedded in Canvas Pages, or made available using links. Check with your instructor to see if they are using Panopto and where the recordings are located.
- Need help?
- Contact your instructor if the recording isn’t available, you received a message telling you to request access, you can’t find the recording in Canvas, or if the link appears to be broken.
- For playback, loading or audio issues, if the site is down or if you have other questions, contact UW-IT at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206.221.5000 select option 3 then option 1 and specify Panopto.
- See Panopto’s instructions for enabling third-party cookies.
- If you have problems accessing Panopto for the first time, access it through the Panopto Recordings section in Canvas.
- Captioning: To request captioning for students who need accommodations, send an email to Disability Resources for Students at email@example.com.