At the UW, instructors may use Panopto to record their courses so students can review the material later. We strongly encourage instructors to take advantage of this easy way to support student learning.
Panopto offers many features to make viewing recordings easier. Read on to learn more and follow links to Panopto documentation of key viewing features. Some of the screens may look a little different, and some functionality may not be available at the UW.
- Video library navigation: If you are not starting in Canvas, you may find recordings and support in Panopto.
- Viewing overview: Learn more about viewing recordings.
- Viewing controls: Adjust volume, review previous 10 seconds, navigate to relevant content and change viewing speed. Use keywords to search text, including bookmarks, notes and PowerPoint slides.
- Bookmarks: Bookmark a specific time in a recording and come back to it later.
- Discussions: Discuss a recording, leave public comments or ask questions.
- Notes: Make time-stamped notes while viewing a recording. By default, your notes are private but you can share them publicly with anyone who has access to the recording.
- Mobile Apps: View recordings on mobile devices. The UW address is https://uw.hosted.panopto.com. Notes: Panopto is aware of issues with mobile use and is working to improve them. Offline viewing is off by default, but instructors may select to allow it.
- Find recordings: Access recordings several ways. They can be found in the Canvas navigation under Panopto Recordings, contained in Canvas Modules, embedded in Canvas Pages, or made available using links. Check with your instructor to see if they are using Panopto and where the recordings are located.
- Need help?
- Contact your instructor if the recording isn’t available, you received a message telling you to request access, you can’t find the recording in Canvas, or if the link appears to be broken.
- For playback, loading or audio issues, if the site is down or if you have other questions, contact UW-IT at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206.221.5000 select option 3 then option 1 and specify Panopto.
- See Panopto’s instructions for enabling third-party cookies.
- Captioning: To request captioning for students who need accommodations, send an email to Disability Resources for Students at email@example.com.
- Video tutorial: Learn more by watching Panopto’s Viewing a Video recording.