Your instructor can choose to use Proctorio, an online exam proctoring service, for exams administered as a quiz in your Canvas course.
- Set up Proctorio
- What are the technical requirements for using Proctorio?
- How can I get help with Proctorio?
- How will I learn to use Proctorio?
- What do I need to use Proctorio?
- Where can I borrow the technology I need to take the quiz?
- What is a Chrome browser extension?
Set up Proctorio
Proctorio requires you to use the Chrome web browser, and install an extension in order to access the remotely proctored quiz. Follow the steps below, or visit http://getproctorio.com.
- Launch the Google Chrome browser or download Chrome to your computer.
- Install the Proctorio Chrome extension. This process is automatic and needs to be done only once. The extension will appear in the Chrome address bar, indicated by a gray shield icon. The extension will update automatically. You are now ready to take the remotely proctored quiz.
What are the technical requirements for using Proctorio?
For the best experience with a remotely proctored quiz, Proctorio recommends these minimum system requirements. If your computer or internet connection doesn’t meet these requirements, you still might be able to take the quiz. Any technical issues that occur during your quiz attempt will be recorded and reported to your instructor. If you have concerns about the technical requirements, contact your instructor to discuss an alternate equivalent exam.
How can I get help with Proctorio?
Support for students is available from Proctorio 24/7, and you can access it right from your browser during the quiz. If you have a problem during the quiz, be sure to contact Proctorio support, as they will inform your instructor.
To contact support during a remotely proctored quiz, click the gray shield icon in the upper right corner of the browser, to the right of the address bar. In the pop-up menu that appears, click the Live Chat or the Help and Support Center button. Learn more.
You can contact Proctorio support directly from within the Canvas quiz, or using the information below:
- Web and Live Chat: https://proctorio.com/support
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 480-428-4089 or 866-948-9248
How will I learn to use Proctorio?
Proctorio is easy to use because it is integrated into Canvas quizzes. When taking a quiz, the Proctorio extension walks you through the steps to get started.
When you access the quiz, you will proceed through these steps:
- Review the Before You Begin information, which lists restrictions during the quiz and information recorded. Learn more about student privacy and Proctorio.
- Close other open tabs in your browser. If you allow Proctorio to close other tabs, they will all be automatically re-opened when the quiz is submitted.
- Close other programs that are running on your computer. This helps to maximize RAM and system resources for the quiz. You can proceed even if you receive a warning about your system.
- Start exam pre-checks to verify that your computer is set up correctly. You may be asked to share your screen (so that it can be recorded during the quiz), show your Husky Card photo ID, and verify your webcam.
- Now you are ready to begin the quiz. Good luck!
Your instructor might have you take an ungraded practice quiz so you can get set up and familiar with Proctorio before a graded assessment.
What do I need to use Proctorio?
You will need a webcam and a microphone (internal or USB), your Husky Card, and the Chrome browser with the Proctorio extension. Ideally, you will have a quiet, private location with a reliable internet connection.
Where can I borrow the technology I need to take the quiz?
The UW STF Technology Loan Program loans laptops for short durations. You should plan to check out a laptop a week before the quiz and take the practice quiz to confirm that the laptop will work for you. Most laptops have a webcam and microphone and are able to access the Internet, but check the one you borrowed before your quiz or exam to be sure. Laptop availability, especially at the end of each academic quarter, is not guaranteed.
What is a Chrome browser extension?
An extension is a small program that modifies the Chrome web browser and not your computer. It enhances the function of the Chrome web browser. For example, it allows the Proctorio Help Icon to operate and for Proctorio to function in Canvas. Nothing is installed on your computer.
For more help, download the Proctorio Student Guide