With the Google Apps and Office 365 LTI tools, instructors can share content and distribute assignments directly from within Canvas. Students can collaborate with instructors and fellow students on individual or group assignments.
The integrations with Google Apps and Office 365 provide the following functionality:
- Embed or link to a Google Drive file or OneDrive file from any Rich Content Editor or module. Permissions will be set automatically for course members to view the linked file.
- Submit assignments directly from Google Drive or OneDrive.
- Create Cloud Assignments: instructors provide a template file for an assignment from their cloud drive, students automatically receive and can edit a copy of this file, and submit it.
- Collaborate on additional file types: documents, presentations, and spreadsheets.
- Cloud Assignments have limitations compared to regular assignments created in Canvas, such as, optional settings, use with plagiarism detection tools, and use with group assignments or peer review. Please refer to the documentation for more information.
- The previous integration with Google Docs was discontinued. Students and instructors may observe the following impacts:
- Collaborations previously made with Google Docs will no longer be accessible through Canvas
- You can still access previous collaborations through the Google account you used
- New collaborations will by default use your UW Google Google for Education @uw.edu account
- Users can authenticate into only one Google Drive account at a time. To switch accounts, go to the User Settings page, remove the integration, and authenticate again using the other account.