Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Poll Creators: Import Students/ Participants
By default poll-takers must be registered participants to respond to polls. Participants cannot self-register so it will be necessary to import students using Poll Everywhere’s Canvas integration. This procedure takes you through the steps for importing students using Canvas.
Please note that only valid UW email addresses can be used in conjunction with the UW Poll Everywhere account as well as the Canvas integration. Please make sure that the default email addresses of your students are set to their UW email address in Canvas. Non-UW email addresses and any associated response data will be purged from the UW Poll Everywhere account.
- To log in, enter your UW NetID and click in the Single Sign On message that appears.
- In the upper left area of the page, click Participants.
- Click Add Participants, then, from the options that appear, select Connect to LMS from the options that appear.
- In the Connect to LMS window, select Canvas.
- Choose one of the options that appears:
- If this is your first time making the connection, under Canvas accounts available for your institution, click Login. If asked to, enter your UW NetID credentials.
- If this is not your first time making the connection, under “Your available Canvas logins click https://canvas.uw.edu [login: <your UW NetID> ] ”.
- To complete the connection, click Authorize.
- Once authorized, from the list that appears, select the desired Canvas course or courses.
UW account holders will use Single Sign-On, not a Poll Everywhere password, to log in. Communicate to your students either via email or in class that they must log in using the SSO login.
- Click Continue to complete the process.This creates participant accounts for any students who do not yet have an account and assigns all students in the selected Canvas courses to poll groups that correspond to those courses. Students who already have accounts established will simply be organized into the correct participant groups for your account.
- This may take a few minutes to process.
This import will automatically create participant groups, named by course, in your Poll Everywhere account (in the right panel of your participants page, https://www.polleverywhere.com/participants). If you need to re-import student course rosters or re-sync them, follow the same procedure outlined above. We recommend re-syncing frequently throughout the add/drop period as participant groups will not automatically update when students are added to the Canvas course.
- Only students you have imported through Canvas will have scores pushed to the Gradebook.
- Only valid UW email addresses can be used in conjunction with the Canvas integration. Please make sure that the default email addresses of your students are set to their UW email address in Canvas, otherwise no grade data for the student will be exported.
- Non-UW email addresses and any associated response data will be purged from the UW Poll Everywhere account. This information will no longer be available to users in the UW account. Poll Everywhere participant accounts and data cannot be merged with another participant account (e.g. a personal account with responses cannot be merged with the student’s UW account).
If you have issues or questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org with Poll Everywhere Course List in the subject line.