Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Add Captions to Panopto Recordings
Adding captions is an excellent enhancement for your viewers and makes video content fully searchable.
Faculty, staff, and students with disabilities can submit an accommodation request to caption Panopto videos by contacting the UW Disability Services Office or Disability Resources for Students. If the accommodation request is approved, all costs and implementation of captioning services are covered by the UW and video owners don’t need to follow the steps below. If there is no active accommodation request, costs and implementation of captioning services are the responsibility of video owners.
Caption transcripts can be generated manually, or by using the UW caption provider for increased accuracy, faster turnaround time, and educational discount pricing. Panopto also provides free machine-generated captions which will need to be edited to ensure accuracy.
Note: Make sure that you have done all necessary edits to your Panopto video before sending it out for captioning.
To add captions to a Panopto video, follow these steps if this is not for an accomodation request:
- Set up an account with the UW caption provider, 3PlayMedia, at http://www.3playmedia.com/get-started-with-3play-media/ If you already have the .srt caption file, proceed to step 7.
- To ensure that the “.srt” caption file type option is selected, in the upper right corner, click Settings. If a check mark does not appear in the “.srt” check box, check it.
- Log in to Panopto and navigate to the folder that contains the recording you want to caption. Below the title of the Panopto video, click Settings.
- In the left column, click Outputs, then click the Download Podcast. This will download an .mp4 file that you’ll then send to 3PlayMedia to use as the reference for creating your caption file.
- Return to your 3playmedia.com account page (making sure that you are still logged in). Click the upload media link and navigate to the .mp4 file you downloaded from Panopto. You will be offered a variety of turnaround times with different prices to choose from.
- When you receive your captioned file from 3PlayMedia, download the .srt file to your local machine.
- Return to the Panopto folder. Choose Settings for the video.
- In the left column, click Captions.
- Below Upload Captions, click Browse.
Panopto will process and link your new captions to be available for viewers of your video.