Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Panopto Lecture Capture
Available for : Instructors Students Staff
Panopto is the UW-IT supported lecture capture solution. Panopto allows for easy recording and reviewing of videos from courses, lectures, and presentations. As a cloud-enabled service, Panopto is designed to simplify the lecture capture process. Recordings in Panopto are viewable on most Web browsers and mobile devices. No service fee for eligible users.
Panopto helps you to:
- Record and view lectures and presentations
- Share recordings
- Share recordings in Canvas
- Schedule recordings
- View list of UW Seattle classrooms with Lecture Capture
- Upload recordings
- Add captions to recordings
- Service metrics: see adoption data
- UW Panopto Survey of Instructors and Students, 2016 View/Download Survey Report
Online Help Center:
- Email and phone
- Walk-in: Odegaard building Room 230
Support staff are available during Learning Technology’s Help Desk Hours.
Free workshops offered biweekly during the academic year. View schedule & register.
UW Learning Technologies multimedia consultants are available to help faculty and staff effectively use video as a tool for teaching and learning. To set up a consulting session, email firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Learning Technologies Consult Appointment Request’ in the subject line and a brief description of your goals.
Known Issues and System Status:
- Spring & Summer 2017: Panopto has fixed bugs in the recorders. Update yours now.
- Solutions, Problems, Bugs
- System Status
- The next release is tentatively scheduled for August 12th, 2017.
- Panopto was upgraded on June 10, 2017. Highlighted features:
- YouTube Video Integration — From within the video editor, you can now embed YouTube videos directly into your Panopto recordings.
- New User Guided Tour — When Creators sign in to Panopto for the first time, they’ll be given a visual tour of the most frequently used features.
- HTML5 Live Streaming — The next time you broadcast an event, your viewers can watch it in any modern web browser without the need for browser add-ons such as Flash. In Panopto 5.4, webcasts are streamed using standards-compliant HTML5 video.
- For more details, see Panopto’s release notes
Learn more about Panopto from vendor’s Help Center:
- Edit recordings
- Troubleshoot viewing issues
- System Requirements for Creating Recordings on Windows
- Install the Windows Recorder
- Install the Mac Recorder