UW Gmail can be configured in a wide variety of email clients. However, due to the complexity introduced when adding a Gmail account to an email client, only a few email clients are supported by UW-IT for use with UW Gmail.
Supported Gmail Clients
The easiest way to access UW Gmail is in a browser. No other client software is needed. This is the quickest and easiest method for connecting to UW Gmail.
- Office 365 ProPlus Outlook for Windows and Mac (recommended)
- Office LTSC 2021 Outlook for Windows and Mac
Setting up UW Gmail with the modern versions of Outlook involves a few important details to ensure it works properly.
- Email Address Configuration: When adding the UW Gmail account, the domain part of the email address looks different. UWNetID@uw.edu needs to be entered as: UWnetID@gamail.uw.edu (gamail is not a typo, it must be entered this way).
- Duo 2FA (Two Factor Authentication): If Duo is enabled on your account, the process will seem like it’s stuck in a loop on the first setup. Please note that this is not a loop, you will be prompted to log in twice and it’s important to complete.
- Setup Instructions: Depending on the operating system of your device, there are different instructions to follow. Below are links to Windows and Mac instructions provided by Microsoft.
Unsupported email clients for UW Gmail
You can set up UW Gmail to work with most modern email clients (e.g. Apple Mail, Thunderbird, etc.), but UW-IT is unable to assist with troubleshooting issues that may arise.
If you are running into issues using an unsupported email client, we recommend updating the device’s operating system to the latest version and updating the email client to the latest version. You may also need to remove UW Gmail from the client and re-add it. Additional troubleshooting for issues that arise from using unsupported email clients with UW Gmail will need to be performed by local IT groups.