- Using UW Google Drive
- File and Folder Ownership in UW Google Drive
- Sharing Data with Other Users
UW Google Drive lets you create, store, share, and collaborate on documents, spreadsheets and presentations online. UW Google Drive is one of the core UW Google apps.
Using UW Google Drive
- Start using UW Google Drive now
- For in-depth help with Google Drive, check out the Google Drive Help Center
File and Folder Ownership in UW Google Drive
File and folder ownership is an important concept in UW Google Drive. The owner of a file or folder has full control over permissions and can delete it. By default, you are the owner of:
- Files and folders that you upload into UW Google Drive
- Folders that you create in UW Google Drive
- Files that you create in Docs, Sheets, or Slides
When an individual separates from the UW and their UW Google account expires, all files owned by that account are deleted, including files that were moved to other locations after creation. This feature can result in files unexpectedly disappearing from folders. Unfortunately, our ability to restore a fully expired account is very limited and often it is impossible to recover any files deleted in this way.
For more information on UW Google Drive and File Ownership, click here.
Sharing Data with Other Users
Files in UW Google Drive can be shared with any Google users, even those with personal Google accounts or other Google accounts. You can find extensive information on how to share using UW Google Drive at the Google Drive Help Center.
Use Groups to Make Sharing Easy
The UW Groups platform is used extensively for UW Google sharing. For information on using UW Groups to manage your UW Google Drive, see the UW Google Group Sharing page.
For more information on account expiration and other policy related issues, see the following pages:
- Usage Policies and Guidelines for Cloud Services
- Being Secure in the Cloud (for UW Medicine staff)