Duo end of support for iOS 13 and Android 8 and 9 —Beginning February 9, 2023, Duo Mobile will no longer be supported on these end of life devices. More information can be found under Keep Duo Mobile updated; Duo no longer supporting earlier mobile device operating systems and in the FAQ, What do I need to use Duo authentication?
What is 2FA?
2FA adds a layer of security when you sign in with your UW NetID. With 2FA, first you enter your password, then use a 2FA device to prove it’s really you.
When do I sign in with 2FA?
You must sign in with 2FA to access systems such as Workday or Hyak that require 2FA, or when you or an organization you belong to has opted in to 2FA on the web.
Why do I need 2FA?
2FA prevents others from signing in as you, even if they know your password. It protects you and the UW from the risks of phishing scams and other forms of passwords theft.
Manage your device(s), once you’ve installed Duo
If you’re ready to enroll a device, use this button:
If you’re choosing a device to use, this information is for you:
- Set up a smartphone or tablet – recommended
- Set up a mobile phone or landline
- Set up a security key
- Request a hardware token
We recommend using Duo Mobile on your smartphone because it’s free, secure, and simple to use. Duo Mobile creates no data on your device.
The following table describes types of 2FA devices and their options for signing in.
|Device type||Sign-in options||Notes|
|Smartphone or Tablet (Recommended)
|Mobile Phone or Landline
Sign in with 2FA
Once you set up a device, you’ll be ready to sign in with 2FA.
Sign-in options depend on your choice of device (above). They include:
- “Send Me a Push” – Duo sends a notification to Duo Mobile on your smartphone or tablet. You then tap “Approve” to sign in. An internet connection (Wi-Fi or cellular data) is required to receive push notifications.
- “Enter a Passcode” – Open Duo Mobile on your smartphone or tablet to generate a passcode, with or without an internet connection. Or, if you have a hardware token, use the passcode from it.
- “Call Me” – Duo calls your smartphone, mobile phone, or landline. Answer the call and follow the instructions to approve. This option only works with phone numbers in the US and parts of Canada.
To learn more about the steps, review how to sign in with 2FA.