On This Page
- Deletion of UW Google accounts and data for Shared UW NetIDs
- Alternatives to using UW Google with a Shared UW NetID
- Migrate from a Shared UW NetID’s UW Google account
On August 25, 2021, UW-IT disabled the creation of new UW Google accounts for Shared UW NetIDs. This change was made as part of the UW Google Changes Project, and in response to Google’s Acceptable Use Policy for Google Workspace, specifically:
You agree not to, and not to allow third parties or Your End Users, to use the Services:
- to grant multiple individuals access to an individual End User Account other than via the delegation features provided within the Services;
- to create End User Accounts assigned to business functions rather than to human beings for the purpose of sharing files within or outside of the domain;
On August 29, 2023, all UW Google accounts and data for Shared UW NetIDs will be deleted.
Please note that Shared UW NetIDs are not being deleted; only UW Google accounts for Shared UW NetIDs are being deleted.
Depending on use cases, there are potential alternatives to using UW Google with a Shared UW NetID. Please be aware that the options below are suggestions that may not have a one-to-one experience match with that of using a UW Google account with a Shared UW NetID.
Use UW Google with a personal UW NetID
Use UW Office 365 with a Shared UW NetID
For situations where an individual UW Google account is not suitable, Shared UW NetIDs are still supported with UW Office 365. The owner of a Shared UW NetID can provision access to UW Office 365 using the Provisioning Request Tool (PRT).
Migrate UW Google Content – Self Service
For information on how to migrate UW Google content, please see the Migrate UW Google Content page.
Migrate UW Google Drive Content – Shared UW NetID Owners
Shared UW NetID owners can request to have UW-IT transfer the UW Google Drive content from the Shared UW NetID to their personal UW NetID’s UW Google Drive.
- User must be the owner of the Shared UW NetID
- Destination UW NetID must be the owner’s personal UW NetID
- Destination UW NetID must have UW Google enabled for the account
Google Drive content transferred through this process will be deposited into a folder in the personal UW NetID’s UW Google Drive. Permissions will remain intact and it is the responsibility of the owner to review the data to ensure that it has been migrated accurately.
To request a migration
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following details:
- Subject: Transfer Shared UW NetID Google Drive Content to Personal UW NetID UW Google Drive
- Shared UW NetID
- Owner’s UW NetID
Considerations before Migrating UW Google Drive files
Once you’ve preserved the UW Google Drive files you wish to keep, you have several options:
- We always recommend reaching out to your local IT group for assistance as they have more knowledge of the services available to you.
- Explore adding files to a UW Office 365 collaboration service, if the files are collaborated on by a group of people. Please note that UW Office 365 collaboration services are not intended as a replacement for a file server.
- If files are for individual use and limited collaboration, UW OneDrive for Business is also an option.
- Review other online file storage options.
Migrate YouTube Content to a Brand Account
YouTube content associated with a UW Google account will require migration to a Brand Account, Google’s service that supports moving YouTube content. Please see the Brand Accounts resource page for more information.
For help, contact the UW-IT Technology Service Center at email@example.com or 206-221-5000.