On This Page
- Deletion of UW Google accounts and data for Shared UW NetIDs
- Alternatives to using UW Google with a Shared UW NetID
- Migrate from a Shared UW NetID’s UW Google account
On August 25, 2021, UW-IT disabled the creation of new UW Google accounts for Shared UW NetIDs. This change was made as part of the UW Google Changes Project, and in response to Google’s Acceptable Use Policy for Google Workspace, specifically:
You agree not to, and not to allow third parties or Your End Users, to use the Services:
- to grant multiple individuals access to an individual End User Account other than via the delegation features provided within the Services;
- to create End User Accounts assigned to business functions rather than to human beings for the purpose of sharing files within or outside of the domain.
Click here to see a list of your Shared UW NetIDs.
Deletion of UW Google accounts and data for Shared UW NetIDs
On August 29, 2023, all UW Google accounts and data for Shared UW NetIDs will be deleted.
Please note that Shared UW NetIDs are not being deleted; only UW Google accounts for Shared UW NetIDs are being deleted.
Alternatives to using UW Google with a Shared UW NetID
Depending on use cases, there are potential alternatives to using UW Google with a Shared UW NetID. Please be aware that the options below are suggestions that may not have a one-to-one experience match with that of using a UW Google account with a Shared UW NetID.
Use UW Google with a personal UW NetID
In many cases, using UW Google with a personal UW NetID may be an adequate solution. Please note that personal UW Google account storage quotas will eventually be limited to 100 GB.
Use UW Office 365 with a Shared UW NetID
For situations where an individual UW Google account is not suitable, Shared UW NetIDs are still supported with UW Office 365. The owner of a Shared UW NetID can provision access to UW Office 365 using the Provisioning Request Tool (PRT).
Migrate data from a Shared UW NetID’s UW Google account
Migrate UW Google Content – Self Service
Review the Google Changes Checklist resource page which covers the top considerations to think about and plan for when preparing to migrate UW Google Content.
Get a feel for the various Migration Tool Options for UW Google Content that UW-IT has reviewed and confirmed are suitable options for the UW environment.
For information on how to migrate UW Google content, please see the Migrate UW Google Content page.
Considerations before Migrating UW Google Drive files
While planning your Google data migration, please see the following guidance on records management from UW Records Management Services.
First, read about file ownership and preserving data in UW Google Drive.
Once you’ve preserved the UW Google Drive files you wish to keep, you have several options:
- We always recommend reaching out to your local IT group for assistance as they have more knowledge of the services available to you.
- Explore adding files to a UW Office 365 collaboration service, if the files are collaborated on by a group of people. Please note that UW Office 365 collaboration services are not intended as a replacement for a file server.
- If files are for individual use and limited collaboration, UW OneDrive for Business is also an option.
- Review other online file storage options.
Migrate YouTube Content to a Brand Account
YouTube content associated with a UW Google account will require migration to a Brand Account, Google’s service that supports moving YouTube content. Please see the Brand Accounts resource page for more information.
For help, contact the UW-IT Technology Service Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-221-5000.