We recommend that you store your browser bookmarks in the cloud, to avoid the possibility of losing them if your hard drive crashes or if you migrate to a new computer. Chrome and Firefox have built-in sync features, so we recommend you use one of those browsers. We have browser-specific instructions below.
- You need a Google account. If you don’t have one, you can activate your UW Google account through the Manage UW NetID Resources page; click on the UW Google Apps link.
- All Managed Workstations come with Chrome installed. If you’re on a non-managed workstation and don’t have Chrome, install it from: http://www.google.com/chrome.
- The first time you open Chrome, you’ll see the “Welcome to Chrome” screen. Enter your email address in the Email box: email@example.com
- Ignore the Password box.
- Click the blue Sign In button, and you’ll be taken to the UW Login page, where you’ll enter your UW NetID and its password.
- Once logged in, click on the Settings button (parallel horizontal lines), and choose Settings
- Under “Sign In,” click the Advanced Sync Settings button.
- Choose the sync options that best suit your needs.
Importing your Bookmarks from IE:
The first time you launch Chrome, it will offer to copy your Favorites from another source. It will ask you to “confirm your sync settings” — just make sure that your “Bookmarks” item is checked. It then goes out to IE and copies over those Bookmarks.
If you’ve already used Chrome, you can click on the Settings icon (3 horizontal bars in the upper right corner). Choose Bookmarks, then Import Bookmarks and Settings. With Internet Explorer selected, click Import.
You’ll now see your Bookmarks and Tabs on any device when you sign in to your Google account.
You’ll need to create an Firefox account with a user name (usually an email address) and password, and your Bookmarks will be stored in the cloud. Unlike Chrome, you also need to run a process from each device you wish to view your Bookmarks on.
For the most up-to-date instructions, see:
You can manually backup your Edge bookmarks and store them on a network file service (e.g. the H: Drive, OneDrive, Google Drive). To do so, follow these steps:
- Open Microsoft Edge.
- Click the Settings and more (three-dotted) button from the top-right.
- Select the Favorites submenu and choose the Manage favorites option.
- Click the Export favorites option.
- Select a folder location.
- Specify a descriptive name.
- Click the Save button.
Internet Explorer does not support bookmark syncing on domain-joined computers. Additionally, Internet Explorer is no longer in active development. We strongly recommend that you not use Internet Explorer.
Due to technical limitations, Internet Explorer Favorites are not automatically synchronized to the H:\ drive. To manually reconnect your IE Favorites to your H:\favorites folder:
- Close any Internet Explorer windows you may have open.
- Open your NETID profile: Open My Computer, and go to C:\Users\%YourNetID%\
- Right click on the Favorites folder and click Properties.
- Select the Location tab*, and enter: H:\favorites.
- Click Apply.
* If there is no Location tab:
Press Windows-R to show the Run box, and run shell:favorites
Right-click a blank area inside the folder and choose Properties.