Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Getting Started with UW G Suite
- On This Page
- Activating UW G Suite
- Using UW G Suite
- Setting Up UW Gmail to Work with Your Favorite Email Program
- Transferring Your UW Email to Your UW Gmail Account
- Using UW Groups to Manage Permissions in UW G Suite
- Getting Help
Activating UW G Suite
Before you can use UW Google Apps, you must activate your account. You may activate your account without changing your current UW-email forwarding to send new mail to UW Google Apps.
To activate your UW G Suite account, follow these steps:
- Go to the Manage UW Google Apps page to activate the service and set your UW G Suite password. Once activated, your G Suite login is email@example.com (where your_uwnetid is your actual UW NetID).
- If you want to forward your email to UW Gmail, use the UW NetID manage pages. If you want to use G Suite without using Google’s email service, you can skip this step.
Note to UW Medicine clinical faculty and staff: You are prohibited from forwarding email to UW Exchange and UW G Suite. For more information on this policy, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Using UW G Suite
You can access Gmail and all other UW G Suite from your Gmail page.
To access Gmail
- Use the following URL, and log in with your UW NetID password:
To access other apps from your Gmail page
Setting Up UW Gmail to Work with Your Favorite Email Program
You can set up Gmail to work with most email programs and mobile devices using instructions provided by Google.
If you use a desktop email program or mobile device to read your Google Apps Email, you need to set a separate password through the Manage UW Google Apps webpage. When using a desktop email program or mobile device, use @uw.edu with your UW Google Apps password to log in.
Transferring Your UW Email to Your UW Gmail Account
For information on transferring your UW email to your new UW Gmail account, see Transferring Email from a UW Email Account to UW Gmail.