To complete this process, you’ll need to have the following:
- Access to a user account in your local domain/forest that is a member of the Domain Admins or Enterprise Admins group
- A nearby telephone (for security reasons, we won’t send the trust relationship passwords through e-mail)
- Approximately 20 minutes of free time
To create a one-way, outgoing, external trust for one side of the trust
- Open the Active Directory Domains and Trusts administrative tool.
- In the console tree, right-click your domain, and then click Properties.
- On the Trusts tab, click New Trust, and then click Next.
- On the Trust Name page, type the DNS name of the domain to which you want to create a trust, and then click Next.
For the UW Windows Infrastructure, you’ll enter: netid.washington.edu.
- On the Trust Type page, click External trust, and then click Next.
- On the Direction of Trust page, click One-way: outgoing, and then click Next.
- On the Sides of Trust page, click This domain only, and then click Next.
- On the Outgoing Trust Authentication Level page, choose either Domain-wide authentication or Selective authentication, and then click Next
- On the Trust Password page, carefully type the trust password twice, and then click Next. (The UW Technology engineer will provide you with this password over the phone.)
- On the Trust Selections Complete page, review the results, and then click Next.
- On the Trust Creation Complete page, review the results, and then click Next.
- On the Confirm Outgoing Trust page, click Yes, confirm the outgoing trust. The new trust will be confirmed and verified. UW Technology can not verify the trust without a domain admin account and password in your domain.
- On the Completing the New Trust Wizard page, click Finish.
Once you have completed these steps, please inform the UW-IT engineer so we know that the process is complete. After that, your trust relationship should be working. You can now utilize NETID user accounts as you would a normal local domain user account.