Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Download and Use Husky OnNet
- On This Page
- Download Husky OnNet
- Run Husky OnNet
- Test Husky OnNet Connectivity
- Uninstall Husky OnNet
- Special Uses
Husky OnNet provides individual users with a secure temporary connection to the UW Network from remote locations. Husky OnNet is powered by f5 BIG-IP Access Policy Manager. The user applications, available for Microsoft Windows and MacOS, are customized versions of the f5 BIG-IP Edge Clients. Learn more about Husky OnNet.
To get started using Husky OnNet, you will do three things:
- Download and install the Husky OnNet client software.
- Find and run the Husky OnNet software to finish installation.
- Test your connection via the Husky OnNet test server.
When you have successfully tested your Husky OnNet connection, you can then access your resources using your normal connection methods.
Note: If you’ve followed these instructions but still aren’t able to get to the resource you are trying to access, please see Special Uses.
Download Husky OnNet
Go to the Husky OnNet Terms and Conditions page. From there you can download Husky OnNet client software.
Run Husky OnNet
- To open the Husky OnNet application for the first time, search for “f5” to find the BIG-IP Edge Client software, and click to run the application.
- The application will open. Enter your UW NetID credentials.
- To activate Husky OnNet, click Connect.
- To open the Husky OnNet application for the first time, navigate to your Applications folder and double-click the f5 logo with app name “BIG-IP Edge Client”.
- Click Connect.
- When asked, enter the appropriate username and password.
Test Husky OnNet Connectivity
Go to: husky-onnet-test.uw.edu
If you have successfully installed and connected to the UW network with Husky OnNet, you will see a “Congratulations!” message.
Uninstall Husky OnNet
- In the Control Panel, go to Programs and Features.
- Select all BIG-IP components and click Uninstall.
- Go to Network Connections and manually delete the entry:
_Common_huskyonnet-split_na_res – Go to huskyonnet.uw.edu instead of dialing directly.
- Open the Husky OnNet BIG-IP Edge Client application.
- From either the f5 dock icon (right click for menu) or f5 status bar icon (click for pulldown menu), select Preferences.
- At the top of the Preferences window, next to General, select Advanced.
- You will see an uninstall option for two components. Click ONLY the uninstall button for the BIG-IP Edge Client. This will remove all the application components from your machine.
Note: There is no SSL VPN Plugin installed with Husky OnNet; selecting uninstall for this component may hang the application, requiring you to quit and restart the application.
Some UW network users require access to network resources and applications that reside outside the UW network but access to those resources is allowed ONLY to devices that are members of the UW network (i.e., have a UW IP address). One common example of online resources requiring this specialized access are UW-restricted library resources.
To access these restricted non-UW resources:
- To end your current session, click Disconnect.
- Click Change Server.
- From the drop-down menu, click All Internet Traffic.
- To begin a new session on the new server, click Connect.
When using this option, all of your traffic is using the Husky OnNet connection, and is subject to the UW Appropriate Use policy.