Follow these steps to set up your smartphone or tablet as a two-factor authentication (2FA) device. Once you set up your smartphone or tablet, Duo Mobile can be used to sign in with 2FA, with or without an internet connection.
Set up your smartphone or tablet using Duo Mobile
In your browser
Follow these steps using a browser on your computer:
- Navigate to https://identity.uw.edu/2fa
- Sign in with your UW NetID and password.
- If you haven’t already, agree to the Duo terms of service.
- If this is your first 2FA device, read the brief information to “Protect Your University of Washington Account” and click Start setup. If you already have a device set up, sign in with one of your 2FA devices and click “Add another device”.
- Select “Mobile Phone” (recommended), or “Tablet” if you’re enrolling up a tablet.
- Enter your valid US mobile phone number. If you’re enrolling a tablet, you’ll automatically skip this step and go to step 9.
- When Duo detects that you have entered a phone number, it will display a checkbox with the number you have entered. Confirm that this is the correct phone number by clicking the checkbox, or correct the number, if needed. Click Continue.
- Select what type of smartphone you’re enrolling (e.g. iPhone, Android) and click Continue. Duo will provide brief instructions for installing Duo Mobile on your type of device.
On your device
Follow these steps on your smartphone or tablet:
- If you haven’t already installed Duo Mobile, go to the app store for your device and search for “Duo Mobile” and install the app. You may be asked to approve permission to use the camera on your device – this is so that the Duo Mobile app can scan the activation code in step 12. If you do not want to approve these permissions you can instead use the activation link mentioned in step 13.
- Once Duo Mobile is installed on your device, go back to the browser on your computer and click I have Duo Mobile installed.
- Open Duo Mobile on your device.
- In Duo Mobile, select “Set up account” (if shown) and tap “Add Account” or tap the “+” symbol in the upper right corner.
- Point the camera on your device at the quick response (QR) code displayed in the browser on your computer. Duo Mobile will scan the QR code and add “University of Washington” to the list of accounts.
- If you used the mobile browser on your device for steps 1-7 (above), and therefore cannot use the phone camera to scan the QR code, select “Have an activation link emailed to you instead.” Enter your email address and select Send email. Duo will send you a Duo Mobile activation link. On your device, check your email and click the link in the email from Duo to activate Duo Mobile. Duo Mobile will open and “University of Washington” will be in the list of accounts.
Back in your browser
Now return to the browser on your computer:
- Duo places a green check mark over the QR code to indicate success. Click Continue.
- Set up is complete. Duo will show “My Settings & Devices”. On this screen you can change the name of your device or add another device (recommended).
Now that you have set up your device, you’re ready to sign in with 2FA when it’s required.
We also recommend setting up one other device in case you lose your primary device.