When does my access to IT services expire?
Your current access to IT services is determined by many factors:
- The access and eligibility policies for the IT services you use
- Your affiliations with the UW (student, employee, alum, etc.)
- What your affiliations entitle you to access
- Any other authorizations you have
Because access is often based on your current, former, or future affiliations with the UW, access to services will change or expire when your affiliations change.
Does my personal UW NetID expire?
No, your UW NetID itself does not have an expiration date. In some circumstances, a year of inactivity can require you to reset your password before accessing services again.
No longer a student, faculty or staff member?
- Expiration of access to services offered to students (undergraduate, graduate, and Professional & Continuing Education students) is based on your enrollment status. In many cases, access expires after you are not enrolled for two consecutive quarters, excluding summer quarter, which aligns with the rules for enrollment eligibility. Expiration notifications are sent for some services. When you are no longer a student, you can continue to sign in with your UW NetID, and you can forward your UW email address to your own personal email address.
- Faculty and staff
- Expiration of access to services offered to faculty and staff is based on employment status. Access often expires with termination of employment. Expiration notifications are sent for some services 14 days after your last day of work. When you are no longer an employee, you can continue to sign in with your UW NetID, and you can forward your UW email address to an email address outside UW managed systems.
- Retired faculty and retired staff
- Expiration of access to services offered to retired faculty and retired staff is based on employment status and access often expires with termination of employment and your last day of work. See details for faculty and staff above.
- Emeritus faculty
- Emeritus faculty can continue to sign in with UW NetID, and are eligible to use some IT services. For example, UW Google and UW Office 365 services do not expire.
When does access to specific IT services expire?
For details about UW Zoom, refer to the UW Zoom account and data expiration page.
Refer to Library Accounts and Privileges for details on off-campus access to databases, e-journals, and services provided by UW Libraries.
Refer to the UW-IT Service Catalog for details on audiences and eligibility for other IT services, as well as details and links to documentation about expiration processes and deletion of files, data, and other resources that you may have created.
Will I receive any expiration warnings?
When your affiliation, entitlements, or other authorizations change, you may receive an expiration notice sent via email to your UW email address. These notifications often relate to IT services like email and storage whose expiration processes may result in deletion of data. The notifications do not indicate your UW NetID itself is expiring.