Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Mailman Request Form Help
On This Page
- Who Should be the Primary Mailman List Owner?
- How to Choose a Mailman List Name
- A Brief Description of the Purpose of the List
- A Moderated Mailman List
- Mailman Message Archives
- Comments or Additional Information
Who Should be the Primary Mailman List Owner?
Responsibility for a Mailman list includes having someone at the UW who is accountable for its responsible use and operation. There will always be at least a few error messages which must be given attention.
The primary Mailman owner is the default manager of the list. Once the list is created, the owner can add more owners and delegate certain responsibilities to different owners. One owner must be a current student, faculty, or staff at the UW and all owners must have a valid UW NetID.
If the list is moderated, the owner will receive and moderate all messages sent to the list. However, the owner may designate someone else to be moderator.
By default, the form will fill in the NetID you signed in with and use your phone number from the directory. You may change either of these.
How to Choose a Mailman List Name
Choose one word that conveys the purpose of the list and meets the following conditions:
- The name must not begin with a number.
- The name must contain only alphanumeric characters, hyphens “-” and underscores “_”.
- The name must not contain a space or spaces. For example, use “my_list” or “my-list”, not “my list”.
- The name cannot end in “-admin”, “-owner”, “-request”, “-subscribe”, “-unsubscribe”, “-bounces”, “-confirm”, “-join”, or “-leave” (but ending in those words without the hyphen is OK).
- The name cannot begin with “c_”, “g_”, “r_”, “u_”, “uw_”, “course_”, “eadm_”, “sadm_”, or “wadm_”.
- The name must be unique for the mailman@u server.
- The name must not match any existing UW NetID.
- List names are NOT case-sensitive.
- The name must contain at most 32 characters.
Email sent to the list you create goes to the name of the list, in the ‘u.washington.edu‘ domain. For example:
When you fill in the name of the list, the form will automatically check to see if this name is available. Your requested list name may already be in use, and to speed the creation of your list, you should include one or two alternate names.
A Brief Description of the Purpose of the List
The list description will be available on your list’s Information page as well as on the list of public lists (unless you configure your list to not be advertised).
Your list description should describe the purpose of the list in 50 characters or less. For example:
Sociology graduate student discussions
Persons planning to retire soon
Greek Council Planning Committees
A Moderated Mailman List
A Mailman list can be configured to be moderated or unmoderated. Moderation means that messages sent to the list address first go to someone who has the power to approve them before they are distributed to the list subscribers.
By default, the list owner is the moderator but the owner can designate another person to be moderator. The list owner can add and remove moderators at any time.
Mailman Message Archives
A Mailman list can be configured to store messages posted to the list in an online archive. The messages will be organized by month (by default) and can be sorted by Thread, Subject, Author, or Date. You can also download a compressed file of the month’s archived messages.
The default archive interval can be changed from monthly to another time setting once the list has been created. The options are: Yearly, Quarterly, Monthly, Weekly, and Daily.
Note: Your list’s archives may be considered public records.
Comments or Additional Information
Use this section to add any additional comments, ask questions, or provide additional information. You can also use this section to request a new name for a current list.