Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Shared UW NetIDs
A Shared UW NetID is an account on one of the Uniform Access computers set up to supplement the services provided by an individual UW NetID. In the past these accounts were called “supplemental accounts.”
Before requesting a Shared UW NetID, please read and be familiar with all the information on this Web page.
| Request a Shared Account |
Purpose of Shared UW NetIDs
Faculty and staff can use Shared UW NetIDs to further their research, collaborate on group projects, and expedite any academic or administrative work at the UW. Shared UW NetID accounts are designed to supplement your individual account for facilitating your work activities.
Student organizations that are registered with the Student Activities Office can use Shared UW NetID accounts for communications about their organization.
- A departmental email address is needed to handle email messages to and from a department rather than an individual.
- An email address is needed for a course so that messages from students are not mixed in with the instructor’s personal email.
- A Web page needs to be created for a department or a course, and it should not be owned by a personal account.
- Some activity requires access to an account by more than a single individual. Note that access by more than one person to an individual account is not permitted on the Uniform Access computers.
Types of Shared UW NetIDs
- Departmental accounts support the electronic presence of a UW department or unit, or support business of the unit requiring multiple people to have access to a single account.
- Course accounts support the activities of a single UW course or course section.
Student organizations interested in obtaining a Shared UW NetID account should contact the Student Activities Office.
All University of Washington policies regarding the appropriate use of University resources and responsible personal conduct apply to your use of UW Information Technology (UW-IT) computing and networking resources including Shared UW NetID accounts. In addition, your use of UW-IT resources must comply with the restrictions and acceptable practices established specifically for these resources.
Shared UW NetID accounts require faculty or departmental approval. Shared UW NetID accounts should not be used in place of individual accounts.
Owner and Account Administrators
The Shared UW NetID owner is responsible for managing the active status of the account and must be a full-time UW employee. The Shared UW NetID owner is responsible for proper use, account maintenance, and file privileges. You may want to add one or more “Account Administrators” on the account. An Account Administrator can change the Shared UW NetID’s password and add additional Account Administrators as well as access the Shared UW NetID account through online tools such as Catalyst. An Account Administrator would not have authority to have the account closed, renamed, or to change the account owner. Account Administrators must be UW faculty, staff, or students.
By agreeing to become the Shared UW NetID owner you accept responsibility for the proper use and maintenance of the account within the published policies and guidelines.
Services for Shared UW NetID Accounts
Shared UW NetID accounts provide the following computing services:
- An email account on Homer (or Dante for student organization Shared UW NetID accounts)
- A Web publishing directory on the appropriate UW Web server
These accounts will be created with the normal default resources for disk space.
Shared UW NetID Account Expiration
Shared UW NetID accounts can expire or be removed if the owner:
- Specifically requests that the account expire on a certain date
- Submits a request in writing to delete the Shared UW NetID
UW Office 365 and Shared UW NetIDs
To request access to a UW OneDrive for Business, Skype for Business, and Exchange Online mailbox for a shared UW NetID, send an email to email@example.com. The local/departmental computing support team may wish to coordinate this activity for the unit.
UW Google Apps and Shared UW NetIDs
The implementation of Shared UW NetIDs in UW Google Apps provides for:
- An Account Owner and display name for the account
- Google Apps and UW-IT documentation in IT Connect for how to manage the account
Steps to activate the UW Google Apps service for a Shared NetID:
- Log in to the Manage UW NetID Resources page with either your personal UW NetID or the Shared UW NetID.(Note: If you log in with your personal UW NetID, you will need to select the Shared UW NetID from the drop-down menu in the top right of the UW NetID Manage Page before completing Step 2.)
- Click “UW Google Apps” in the left-hand navigation.
- Provide the requested information about the Shared UW NetID and optionally set up the UW Google Apps separate password.(Note: UW Google Apps uses the Shared UW NetID and password when logging in via a Web browser; however, the separate password is used for logging in with a desktop application or mobile device.)
- The first time you sign in with the Shared UW NetID in UW Google Apps, you will need to agree to Google’s Privacy statement.
To log in with the Shared UW NetID to UW Google Apps:
- If you have already logged into another UW NetID (such as your personal UW NetID), you will need to do one of the following before logging into UW Google Apps with the Shared UW NetID:Option 1a
Completely close all browser windows and restart your browser.Option 1b
Open a different browser (e.g., if you are using Mozilla Firefox, open Internet Explorer).
Clear your browser cookies. Instructions for all major browsers can be found here.
- You can access UW Google Apps via one of the direct URLs listed here.
- If you are not already logged into the Shared UW NetID (such as via MyUW), you will be prompted to log into the Shared UW NetID. Log in using the Shared UW NetID and password, and you will be redirected to the requested service.
- In order to completely sign out of the UW Google Apps, you will need to click “Sign Out” in the top right corner, and complete either Step 1a or 1c above.
If you have already signed up for UW Google Apps, visit the UW Google Email and Contacts page.
- Sharing with 10 individuals or fewer?
- The suggested method to give access to the Shared UW NetID’s email is to use the delegated access feature in UW Google Apps. You are able to give up to ten (10) people delegated access to the Shared UW NetID’s email through their own UW Google Apps account without the need to share the password for the Shared UW NetID. More information about how to do so can be found on Google’s Set Up Mail Delegation page. The process will require the delegate to accept the requested access, and it may take up to an hour for the change to take effect on the delegate’s account.
- Sharing with 11 individuals or more?
- If more than 10 individuals need to share access to the email for the Shared UW NetID, you will need to share the password for the account. Any number of staff can share a common password to access the account. This may be done at the discretion of the group sharing the password. Changes to the account password are the responsibility of the group, and must be changed by going to the UW NetID Manage Page, or contacting the UW Information Technology Service Center by calling 206-221-5000 (Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.; Sunday, 1:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.).
Google Calendar With Shared UW NetIDs
If you have already signed up for UW Google Apps, visit the UW Google Calendar page.
- Sharing Your Calendar With Others
- By default, your calendar and the events are viewable only by you.
- You can share your calendar or specific events with others. For instructions, please see Google’s Calendar Sharing Options for Google Apps page.
- The individual you share your calendar with will receive an email notification when you initiate this action.
- Accessing Shared Calendars
- Shared calendars will appear in your list of calendars.
- See Google Apps for how to manage the account.
For general information and help with Google Calendar, visit the Google Calendar Help page.
- Files Storage Using Google Docs
- If you already have signed up for UW Google Apps, visit the UW Google Docs page.
Google Docs lets you create, upload, edit, and share documents and files. This includes documents, spreadsheets, presentations, drawings, and forms. You can set up viewing and editing permissions for other Google users using your Shared UW NetID. For further information, visit the Google Docs Help pages.
- Web Publishing Using Google Sites
- Google Sites lets you manage a website as well as delegate viewing and editing permissions for a website to other Google users. For general help, please visit the Google Sites Help pages. For help on sharing, please visit Controlling Access to Your Site on the Google Apps help pages.