Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Wi-Fi Static IP Address Requirements
Wi-Fi static IP addresses are supported and distributed to clients meeting certain reasonable requirements. This is expected to be a very small segment of our customer base.
Reasonable requirements clients should meet may be, but are not limited to:
- Inbound connectivity to device with a predictive IP
- Fixed device does not behave well in a DHCP environment
- Reasonable hardship
- Lack of high availability
- Lack of high bandwidth
- Limited client roaming requirements
Static IP Request
To request a Wi-Fi static IP address, send email to the UW Information Technology Service Center at firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the following information:
- Describe the need for static IP(s) in some detail.
- Describe why a DHCP address specifically will not work for you.
- Will this IP be used for a critical system or system requiring high network availability?
- Will this IP be used for a system requiring high network bandwidth?
- In what building will the device using this IP be located?
- Are there expectations the device using this IP will be used in any locations other than the one identified in #5?
- Does the device using this IP need to communicate with devices outside of the UW network space?
- Do you fully understand that this IP may need to be re-assigned and the device(s) using it reconfigured periodically, due to changes in or growth of the UW wireless network?