University of Washington students, faculty and staff have several options to get both software and hardware, sometimes at free or reduced cost.
Software is available to UW students, faculty and staff as both software downloads or online, cloud-based software. The following options provide software to all active student, faculty, and staff at reduced or no cost.
- UWare offers software downloads at reduced or no cost, thanks to various license agreements with software vendors. UWare software includes Sophos anti-virus, Husky OnNet VPN service, and Microsoft Office 365 for free.
- If you are using a Managed Workstation, use the MWS Software Center to download software to your Managed Workstation.
Online and cloud-based software
- Online productivity platforms offer online collaborative software. The UW provides UW Google and UW Office 365, both include word processing, spreadsheets, email and calendaring.
- Web publishing software allows you to create dynamic and rich websites from your browser.
UW-IT Service Catalog
- The UW-IT Service Catalog also offers software to UW students, faculty, and/or staff.
There are many types of hardware available to UW students, faculty and staff. Computers and other technology equipment can be obtained through UW-IT services. It’s available to borrow, and can be purchased.
- The Managed Workstation Service is available to UW faculty and staff, and provides networked computers and software centrally managed and supported by UW-IT.
- The Student Technology Loan Program allows students to borrow a variety of technology items.
- The Academic Technologies Help Desk offers audiovisual equipment reservations in support of instruction and special events.
- UW’s Procurement Services details the process for buying equipment, including computer hardware, through approved vendors.
- Read about Sustainable Purchasing and how to procure environmentally and socially responsible products.
- The Odegaard Learning Commons provides access to hundreds of Mac and Windows computer workstations.
- Technology spaces for videoconferencing, collaboration, digital presentation, media, and sound projects are available.
- The University Bookstore Tech Center has a limited selection of computer accessories.