MATLAB is a programming and numeric computing platform engineers and scientists use to analyze data, develop algorithms, and create models.
How to Get Matlab
- Students may obtain a free Matlab license for use on personal computers. To register your UW student Mathworks account and download the software, visit the UW portal at Mathworks.
Faculty, Staff, or UW-Owned Lab Computers
- Faculty and staff may purchase MATLAB through UWare with all toolboxes included. The order form is below.
- After the purchase order is fulfilled, the licensee receives a confirmation with the link to the UW-managed Mathworks portal, in which the licensee can register and download the Matlab installer.
- Concurrent licenses are available for lab computers on-campus or connected via VPN. We recommend purchasing a number of licenses equal to the maximum number of computers expected to be used concurrently.
- Purchase requires valid UW worktags and authorization from a budget approver.
- No Procurement cards or direct sales to individuals are available.
- Matlab is available through an annual subscription, with the license period running from July 1 through June 30.
- UW-IT cannot prorate or refund the cost of the Matlab license subscription.
- UW-IT will automatically bill for the Matlab license in the following license cycle. Please don’t submit a new purchase request for the existing Matlab license.
- Individual licenses are assigned to an individual. The client application may be installed on two devices and is only available to that specific user.
- An individual license can not be assigned to a shared UW NetID.
- Once purchased, you will be automatically billed for your Matlab license annually unless you cancel the renewal before the cancellation deadline. For more information about the cancellation deadline or to submit a cancellation request form, visit: https://itconnect.uw.edu/tools-services-support/software-computers/uware/uw-software-renewal-cancellation-request/.
- You will be required to re-activate your Matlab licenses every year after renewal. Click here for individual license instructions: https://itconnect.uw.edu/wares/uware/matlab/#reactivate. Click here for concurrent license instructions: https://itconnect.uw.edu/wares/uware/matlab/#concur-reactivate
- Your license entitles you to the “Campus Edition” of Matlab. All toolboxes are included with your license.
- Your license may be used for the purpose of (i) in the case of employees (faculty and academic staff) performing software administration, teaching, and non-commercial academic research in their ordinary course as UW employees and (ii) in the case of enrolled students, meeting classroom requirements of courses and study offered by the UW. Work funded under a grant would usually be considered “academic” in nature, while work funded by a contract is likely “commercial” and, therefore, not covered under the license. Any other use is expressly prohibited.
Matlab and the Hyak Research Cluster
MATLAB is licensed for use in the Hyak Research Cluster. Hyak is part of an integrated, scalable scientific super-computing infrastructure operated by UW-IT. If you are faculty or staff, you can request an evaluation account to see if it will meet your research needs. If you’re ready to start using Hyak in production, it’s as simple as purchasing a single node. Prices and descriptions are here:
If you are a student, you can access Hyak with purchased MATLAB software for your independent research through the HPC Club:
- Questions about the Installation and Operation of MATLAB and the Toolboxes should be addressed to email@example.com
- Self-paced training: MATLAB Onramp
- For faculty who need assistance with incorporating MATLAB into their curriculum, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request.
- For any other questions, email: email@example.com
- For individual Matlab Licenses, you can install them on two machines but only use them on one computer at a time.
- For concurrent Matlab Licenses, you may install the software on as many computers as you wish but can only use the software on as many computers at once as you have licenses for.
- The license can be transferred to another user at the department’s request.
- The license can be canceled using the Cancellation Request Form. (Please read all the details related to cancellation.)
- Open MATLAB (If the license has expired, the activation client will launch, and you can skip the next step).
- Navigate to Help on the toolbar and select Licensing.
- Click on Activate Software. The MATLAB licensing module starts. Click “allow” if prompted.
- Choose to Activate using the Internet and select “UW Individual Licenses.” Follow the prompts to complete the process.
- Once complete, you must restart MATLAB before the new license file is recognized. You might continue to see the expiration warning in MATLAB until the old file expires. Once the activation process finishes successfully, it will roll over to the new license file once the old one expires.
- To activate renewing Matlab concurrent licenses, please replace the appropriate license file on that device with the new file from this location. Only those who purchased concurrent licenses can access this location.
PlatformPC, Mac, Linux
Faculty & Staff: $165 annually
Concurrent Licenses: $165 annually
All sales are final.
- Free for Students