Users whose UW Google storage currently exceeds 80GB received a version of the following on Tuesday, July 26.
What is happening?
As initially announced in June 2021, Google is implementing major changes to their Google Workspace for Education product.
Among other changes, Google is moving to a shared storage pool. We are sharing this information now so that you may prepare and find alternative solutions for data storage. Learn more about Google’s new storage policy.
Google’s shift to shared storage for Google Workspace for Education means that every UW Google account will be subject to a 100GB storage quota, effective June 11, 2024.
As a step toward establishing the 100GB quota, UW-IT will implement tiered storage quotas that are greater than users’ existing data storage usage, effective August 23, 2022.
When is it happening?
|August 23, 2022||Free and unlimited storage in UW Google ends; temporary tiered quotas implemented
|June 11, 2024||100GB quota implemented for all UW Google accounts
What steps can I take to prepare for the storage limit?
- See how much UW Google storage you are currently using.
- Learn how to manage data stored in your UW Google account.
- Create a migration plan for email, files and business processes that must be retained.
- Review alternatives to UW Google, such as:
- UW-IT’s online storage options or
- UW Office 365. This productivity platform offers collaboration services such as Microsoft Teams, SharePoint Online, and Microsoft 365 Groups that may offer a similar experience.
Where can I go for help?
UW-IT’s service technicians stand ready to answer any questions you may have about this change, and about the different storage options available. Please contact the UW-IT Technology Service Center at email@example.com or 206-221-5000. You can also visit IT Connect to learn more about migrating your own data.
Users can also work directly with their department’s IT support group for specific recommendations and more individualized help.
UW-IT is currently working with vendors to determine the feasibility of providing a tool to migrate data from UW Google to an alternative repository. We will communicate about available solutions as soon as possible.
The UW Google Changes Project Team