Information technology tools and resources at the UW
UW OneDrive for Business FAQs
- How much space do I get in my UW OneDrive for Business (formerly UW SkyDrive Pro) storage area?
- 1 TB
- Am I permitted to save information that is protected by HIPAA and FERPA rules?
- Is there a size limit on the files that can be uploaded?
- 2 GB per file
- Is there a folder limit when synchronizing folders on your desktop?
- To help ensure successful synchronization of multiple files and folders to a local OneDrive for Business folder, add content to your local OneDrive for Business folder in chunks of 200 items or less. An item can be a folder or a file. So, for example, if you add a folder that contains 50 subfolders and 120 files, totaling 170 items, this falls within the acceptable limit.
- What file types cannot be uploaded to OneDrive for Business?
- Notably .exe and .shtm. For a complete list from Microsoft, see Blocked file types for SharePoint Online.
- What characters cannot be used in OneDrive for Business file names?
- See the Microsoft Help topic I can’t upload a file or folder.
- Why do I see references to SkyDrive Pro in the user interface and on Web pages?
- Microsoft originally released this service under the name SkyDrive Pro. In February 2014, Microsoft changed the name to OneDrive for Business. It will take some time for Microsoft to complete the name change everywhere.
- Why am I prompted to log in sometimes and not at other times?
- Sometimes you are prompted for UW NetID even if you have already supplied it in the same browser session. Sometimes you are prompted to log in to Office 365 and other times not. The login sequence is not always the same because it depends on complex interactions between the particular browser and application combinations that you have activated prior to accessing Office 365 services.
- In Internet Explorer, how can I avoid being prompted for a login when I’m already logged in?
- To reduce the likelihood of being prompted again, add the following URLs to your Intranet Sites list:
To add URLs to your Intranet Sites list:
- In the upper-right corner of the browser window, click the Gear icon , and then click Internet Options.
- Click the Security tab.
- At the top of the tab, click Local Intranet, and then click Sites.
- Make sure that Automatically detect intranet network is checked, and then click Advanced.
- In the top field, enter the first URL, and then click Add.
- Repeat step 5 for the other URLs.
- Click Close, OK, and OK again to close all the dialog boxes.
- How can I bookmark the UW Office 365 link?
- The when you log in using the UW link, you are redirected to other Web pages before arriving at your UW OneDrive for Business document library, so bookmarking your UW OneDrive for Business document library is not the same as bookmarking the UW Office 365 link.
To bookmark the UW Office 365 link, create a new bookmark on any page, and then edit it to change the URL to:
- Where is the recycle bin?
- See the Microsoft Help topic Empty the recycle bin or restore your files.
- How can I set up a blog or change my blog settings?
- See the Microsoft Help topic Create a blog.
- How can I change my newsfeed settings?
- See the Microsoft Help topic Change newsfeed settings.
- Can I use the External Sharing feature to share files with users outside of the UW?
- UW-IT has disabled the External Sharing feature because of the difficulties in overseeing accounts in a large environment like the UW. Oversight is especially critical with Office 365 applications because of the possible presence of data protected by HIPAA regulations. UW-IT does allow faculty and staff to endorse other accounts such as temporary, sponsored, and shared UW NetIDs to allow collaboration with internal and external partners working on University-related activities in keeping with our standard acceptable use policies. UW-IT will continue to work with Microsoft to understand improvements that need to be made to support collaborative scenarios within an Office 365 environment.