Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Note: You are encouraged to try the steps below, but should the process feel too daunting, your Managed Workstation team will be happy to help you. Contact email@example.com
Due to technical limitations, Internet Explorer Favorites are not automatically synchronized to the H:\ drive. To manually reconnect your IE Favorites to your H:\favorites folder:
- Close any Internet Explorer windows you may have open.
- Open your NETID profile: Open My Computer, and go to C:\Users\%YourNetID%\
- Right click on the Favorites folder and click Properties.
- Select the Location tab*, and enter: H:\favorites.
- Click Apply.
* If there is no Location tab:
Press Windows-R to show the Run box, and run shell:favorites
Right-click a blank area inside the folder and choose Properties.
Chrome and Firefox
You can synchronize your Chrome and Firefox bookmarks and settings to the cloud so they can follow you beyond a single Managed Workstation.
To accomplish this, use the Sync feature of these browsers to sign in and synchronize your settings to the cloud. Once synchronized, when you log in with the same account on your NETID profile, the bookmarks and settings will automatically download and install. You can also use the Export feature of the Bookmarks manager to export just Bookmarks.
The best option for Chrome is to store your Bookmarks in the cloud using your Google account.
- You need a Google account. If you don’t have one, you can activate your UW Google account through the Manage UW NetID Resources page; click on the UW Google Apps link.
- If you don’t have Chrome, install it from http://www.google.com/chrome.
- The first time you open Chrome, you’ll see the “Welcome to Chrome” screen. Enter email address in the Email box: firstname.lastname@example.org Ignore the Password box.
- Click the blue Sign In button, and you’ll be taken to the UW Login page, where you’ll enter your UW NetID and its password.
- Once logged in, click on the Settings button (parallel horizontal lines), and choose Settings
- Under “Sign In,” click the Advanced Sync Settings button.
- Choose the synch options that best suit your needs.
Importing your Bookmarks from IE:
The first time you launch Chrome, it will offer to copy your Favorites from another source. It will ask you to “confirm your sync settings” — just make sure that your “Bookmarks” item is checked. It then goes out to IE and copies over those Bookmarks.
If you’ve already used Chrome, you can click on the Settings icon (3 horizontal bars in the upper right corner). Choose Bookmarks, then Import Bookmarks and Settings. With Internet Explorer selected, click Import.
You’ll now see your Bookmarks and Tabs on any device when you sign in to your Google account.
FireFox uses the same technique as Chrome. Create an account with a user name (usually an email address) and password, and your Bookmarks will be stored in the cloud. Unlike Chrome, you also need to run a process from each device you wish to view your Bookmarks on.
For specifics, see: