Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Here are some of the ways one could modify a MWS workstation or its usage to lower risk that require a low level of effort:
- Enable a password-protected screensaver that locks your computer after 5-10 minutes of inactivity. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/turn-your-screen-saver-on-or-off
- Don’t open attachments in email you aren’t expecting or click links in email. See protecting your email for additional info.
- Periodically perform a full system virus scan.
- Create your “secret questions” on the “Manage My NetID” site so that you can change your password in an emergency. https://uwnetid.washington.edu/manage
- Use Chrome or Firefox instead of (or in addition to) Internet Explorer. Don’t accept offers to install toolbars or other add-ons.
- Minimize the software you install that isn’t available from UWare or Managed Workstation Service (MWS).
- Regularly review the list of applications installed on your system and uninstall anything you don’t use anymore.
- Always use a VPN connection, regardless of your location or device, for UW work.
- Change your UW NetID password regularly and don’t use it for any other accounts.
- Do not use your UW NetID and password on any device which is not well managed. If you do, change your password as soon as possible.