Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Low Risk Scenarios
If your workstation requirements are very low-risk, you might considering using a device that is not managed by the Managed Workstation Service (MWS). Examples of how MWS can add value to non-MWS devices (Bring Your Own Device, or BYOD):
- Connect via Remote Desktop to your Managed Workstation Service (MWS) desktop for applications and data that should stay on a well-managed system.
- Store non-confidential files on U Drive, or use Google Drive on both your MWS and BYOD devices.
- Use the MWS VPN service to securely connect to campus from off-site locations.
- Install the same anti-virus software MWS uses on your device – it is available from UWare for both UW and personally owned devices.
- Use Chrome browser to have access to your Favorites and share the same Chrome Applications between your devices (Including your MWS workstation).