Information technology tools and resources at the UW
20141110: Nebula Fall Brown Bag
Thanks to those who joined us for the Nebula Fall Brown Bag! Brian Arkills was there; Brian is the new Service Manager, responsible for managing the service and its quality (Rebecca still manages the team that delivers the service). Brian talked about:
- Better communications to customers for more timely information, including semi-annual newsletters.
- Migration to NETID logins — this is needed to deploy better back-end tools. It will also allow for multi-factor authentication for those clients that need more security. We are happy to help, no charge; let us know when you are ready.
- Windows 10 is coming – we are participating in early adopter program .
Tobin Wood talked about the latest “ransomware” incidents, where a malicious program encrypts files and then demands money for the encryption key. This has affected H: and I: drive files and prevents anyone from accessing them. You can get infected by clicking on attachments, or by going to an infected web site, aka “drive-by”.
- Contact us asap if you suspect an infection.
- If your area has an infection, copy your files to your desktop before working on them.
- The fix: recover and restore encrypted folders from snapshots — this overwrites everything in the existing folder.
File service quotas are scheduled for July 1, 2015. We’re contacting H: drive users first; moving files to Google Drive or the U: Drive are good options. Please examine what you’re storing on H: and I: and review the guidelines at the bottom of the “Using Your Computer” page. Backups, non-work related media files, programs and archived files are all good candidates for removal.
Questions — our favorite part of the meeting!
- What happened to Integratum, the web access tool?
It is old technology and incompatible with newer security protocols. Alternatives include Google Drive, Microsoft One Drive, and connecting to a work computer via Remote Desktop.
- When should I use the VPN?
When you’re on a public network like a coffeeshop, library or airport, we recommend you connect via the VPN to encrypt your network traffic.
- How can I make my login default to NETID?
We can do that; just send us a note.
- Why isn’t Adobe Reader on the new images?
Adobe’s latest licensing does not allow us to distribute it via an image. The link you see in a newly imaged computer is to download the Reader software.
- The old Nebula Support Request icon keeps coming back. (And why do we have a new NSR?)
We are working on that; send us a note if you keep seeing it. The NSR is handy when you’re having email problems; it sends us a trouble report.
- Can deletions from my I: drive be restored?
Only from snapshots.
- How do we ensure that emails are deleted?
Look into the Recover Deleted Items information — there’s another Delete option there.