Information technology tools and resources at the UW
To be available for restore, a file must have been backed up previously. We recommend you turn on the Microsoft Office AutoRecover feature in each application (Word, Excel, etc.) to maximize your chances of recovering a file lost the same day.
By policy, UW-IT retains deleted files no longer than 90 days. Files which still exist may have prior versions still available for a longer period.
Self-Service file restores
- These files are read-only, and should be copied to your regular directory.
- They are available at:
- Your H: drive in I:\snapshots\(selected date)\users\(your UWNetID)
- Your I: drive in I:\snapshots\(selected date)\groups\(your directory)
- DAILY snapshots are created daily at 7PM. Going backward from today we keep seven DAILY snapshots.
- WEEKLY snapshots are created every Saturday at 7PM. Going backward from today we keep four WEEKLY snapshots.
- A full copy of the previous day’s files may not be available until late morning.
- If you can’t find your files, we may be able to restore them from tape; send the full path name and file name(s).
- For restores of email, please contact email@example.com or call 206-221-5000.