When you copy any Canvas content from one course to another, students in the new course will be granted access to Panopto recordings in the original course if the Canvas course copy is made before the Panopto folder has been accessed. In other words, to grant students in the new course access to old recordings, the Panopto folder cannot have been accessed, and the Panopto Recordings tab in Canvas cannot have been clicked. This is useful functionality if you would like your students to have access to old recordings. However, it can also cause instructors to share content unintentionally. Panopto has acknowledged this issue and is working to improve the copy process. In the meantime, if you do not want your new class to have access to recordings from your old class, follow the steps below.
Note: If a course has been copied in Canvas and you do not see the groups listed, it is possible that no one who is enrolled in the new course has signed into Panopto yet. The sign-in process initiates the process of adding sharing settings to the old course folder. We recommend that you check the groups in the old course a few days into the new quarter.
If you have copied a course in Canvas and do not want students enrolled in the new course to be able to access Panopto content in the old/copied course, proceed with the following steps:
- Log in to Canvas.
- Navigate to the old course that you have copied.
- In the course navigation menu, click Panopto Recordings.
- In the upper right corner, click the Share Settings icon.
- The share settings for this folder should contain the Viewer and Creator groups of the course you have created via Canvas Course Copy. In this example, the course “Spring 2018 – …” was copied, and the copy created an “Autumn 2018 – …” course in Canvas. Both of these groups are expected to have “Can View” access to this folder.
- You are viewing the settings of the old course that was copied.
- Identify the ::Viewer and ::Creator groups from the new course.
- Click the Xs on the right-hand side of each group. This will highlight the groups in red.
- Click Save Changes at the bottom. This will prevent users enrolled as students in the new course from accessing the content in the old course.