Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Windows File Service
The Windows File Service provides a file sharing platform for customers. File sharing is provided via SMB/CIFS, the standard method provided by a Windows file server, and client computers which are capable of connecting via SMB/CIFS can use this service.
Access to files is managed by the customer, allowing the customer to ensure that people can get access or are removed from access when needed.
There is a planned future enhancement to provide an option of encryption at rest.
The following features are included:
• CIFS/SMB access from UW campus subnets. Can be accessed from off-campus via UW network based VPN services.
• Self-service file restores and versioning via “Previous Versions”
• Disaster recovery backups in geographically separate regions (Seattle and Spokane). Per-file restores from tape are not available.
• Easy allocation of additional storage space as demand requires
• Self-service access control via UW NetIDs and UW Groups
• Recommended for Microsoft Access databases
• Distributed File Service (DFS) integration, providing for seamless back-end server replacement and reduced interruption due to maintenance
This service provides a well-known way of sharing files.
This service is provided via a monthly cost. There is a data usage cost.
Service staff are also available to help craft a specific solution which meets your needs on a consulting cost-recovery basis.
Service options are:
• The ability to specify which users are able to leverage the service.
• The ability to leverage knowledgeable IT staff who can help you create a file sharing solution which meets your needs
Other file service choices can be suggested with an analysis of your use case.
UW faculty; UW staff; UW researchers; UW clinicians; UW academic units; UW administrative units; UW Medical Center; Harborview Medical Center; Requires a valid UW budget number.
How to Order
Hours available: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Service Level Description
During Business Hours (M-F 8:00 am - 5:00 pm) requests related to this service can expect an initial response within 24 hours.
Service is monitored 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for disruptions. On-call staff are available for outage resolution.
UW Information Technology Service Center
Location: UW Tower C-3000 (4333 Brooklyn Ave. NE)
Online Help Form: washington.edu/itconnect/help
Business Hours: washington.edu/itconnect/help
Last Review Date: 08/05/2016