Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Wi-Fi Wireless Service
- Wireless connectivity to UW Campus, Internet, and various research networks via Wi-Fi 802.11a/g/n and 802.11ac where available.
- Addressing via dynamic DHCP address assignments within registered UW IP address space.
- 24x7x365 monitoring of network equipment, including business hour maintenance, support and off-hours emergencies.
- Authentication with a valid UW NetID is required to access non-UW resources.
- Encrypted, guest Wi-Fi access is available to users from participating institutions via the eduroam service.
- UW faculty, students and staff with valid UW NetID receive encrypted, guest Wi-Fi access when visiting other participating eduroam institutions.
Basic Wi-Fi Network services described above.
Self-sustaining (enhanced) Wi-Fi Network services may include:
- Encrypted Wi-Fi Access
- Support for Voice over IP on Wi-Fi
- Private addressing and Network Address Translation (NAT)
- Wi-Fi coverage expansion to new areas of existing buildings
- Wi-Fi coverage expansion to new outdoor areas
- Wi-Fi coverage added to new construction/renovation
- Advanced troubleshooting to support specific equipment or a specific use beyond basic network and Internet connectivity.
- Custom engineered solutions.
UW faculty; UW staff; UW students; UW students in residence halls
How to Order
UW Information Technology Service Center
Front Desk: UW Tower C-3000 (4333 Brooklyn Ave. NE)
Online Help Form: washington.edu/itconnect/help
Business Hours: washington.edu/itconnect/help
UW Medicine & clinical departments should email UW Medicine IT Services at firstname.lastname@example.org for service.
Service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year with the exception of upgrades, maintenance, and outages.
Basic Services (included in the Technology Recharge Fee)
Self-Sustaining Services and Rates (Rates are effective through August 31, 2017)
- Additional WiFi Coverage
- Costs vary and require a design coordinated by UW-IT specific to the site and building construction, however on average each AP covers 2,400 square feet or 20 users, whichever is greater. The square footage covered can vary substantially based on building construction types.
- The cost per AP varies from $800-$2,500+ and consists of the following:
- New cat5e cable, pathway, and labor (varies based on building conditions): $200-$1,700+
- Wired port activation charge: $147
- Indoor WiFi AP: $400
- Indoor WiFi AP (high capacity): $525
- Outdoor WiFi AP: Varies
Service Level Description
Service is monitored for interruptions and outage resolution 24x7x365.
To report service outages, email email@example.com or call 206-221-5000.
Facilities work may extend the time-frame for service delivery. Estimates for both the charges and the timeframe will be provided before service orders are placed.
Last Review Date: 05/02/2015