Information technology tools and resources at the UW
UW Connect Service Management
What is UW Connect?
UW Connect is a Service Management application built on the ServiceNow platform, and configured for UW. It is a powerful tool for managing the work needed to deliver customer-focused services, allowing organizations to:
- Use a single system of record for tracking service requests and the ensuing activities
- Organize and prioritize work, allowing users to move away from shared email accounts and spreadsheets
- Deliver consistent and regular customer communication
- Provide customers with self-service capabilities for request creation and tracking
- Establish a knowledge base to house service-related documentation such as support procedures and best practices
- Pre-define request workflows for repeatable request fulfillment activities
- Create dashboards and reports that provide historical and real-time data to help inform service improvement efforts
- Automatically create records and route inbound emails to your assignment group
How is UW Connect Related to Service Management?
Service Management refers to an established information technology framework. For the UW, it allows support organizations to use UW Connect for their own service delivery and support activities, while leveraging industry best practices adopted by UW-IT. While UW Connect was implemented in support of UW-IT’s Service Management program, it is a solution built on best practices with UW organizations in mind. A few non-UW-IT departments have already adopted it and others are planning to do so. As a customer of this service, your unit adopts the existing configuration, then UW-IT makes minor adjustments that allow you to associate those small customizations with your service offerings and assign records to the appropriate assignment groups.
UW Connect aligns with the Culture of Service Program within the UW’s Transforming Administration Program (TAP), which aims to enhance service delivery in UW’s central administration units; it can be a key tool in maturing your Customer Service and Operational Effectiveness.
- Record creation via inbound email (Requests, Incidents).
- Request Fulfillment, Incident Management and Problem Management applications.
- Dedicated Knowledge Base.
- Two Structured Requests (predefined customer-facing online intake forms and related workflows).
- Consulting/guidance to help you determine which Services and Assignment Groups you will need, and assistance with creating groups in the UW Groups and UW Connect systems.
- Request and Incident dashboards that provide metrics about your services and response activity.
- Permissions to create individual or group reports.
- Training sessions for your licensed users (a licensed user is an organization’s staff or student employee who is using UW Connect to process records and/or run reports).
- Ability to subscribe to the optional Enterprise Service Desk service, an upcoming service providing service desk capabilities for UW departments. More information coming soon.
- Ongoing operations support, including:
- Providing system administration for UW Connect, including ServiceNow software upgrades, patches and maintenance.
- Managing all vendor communications with ServiceNow.
- Managing the development and implementation activity, as well as continuous improvements.
- Providing licensed user assistance through the UW-IT standard support (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Providing access to ongoing published UW Connect process documentation, release notes, and online help files for licensed users.
UW organizations providing support services to their customers and who agree to:
- Ensure all licensed users have on record a completed Access and Use Agreement for UW Information Systems and UW Institutional Information.
UW Medicine IT Services manages a separate Service Management application to support the hospitals and clinics. UW School of Medicine departments are eligible for this service.
A valid UW budget number is required for this service.
How to Order
Generally available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, with occasional scheduled maintenance and updates as needed. Software updates occur regularly, with minimal downtime occurring after business hours.
This service is treated as a critical service, and engineers respond after business hours for service impacting outages. This service has integrations with, and dependencies on, related services including UW Groups, Email, UW NetID authentication.
The technology infrastructure supporting UW Connect is geographically resilient—it is not entirely located in the Puget Sound region.
One-time setup fee: $3,660*
Monthly license charge (staff): $49/user
Monthly license charge (student): $29/user
A licensed user is an organization’s staff or student employee who is using UW Connect to process records and/or run reports. Licenses are not required for end users who request and receive support. Licenses are named licenses vs concurrent licenses, and cannot be shared.
*While funds are available, some implementations may be eligible for Computing Infrastructure TAP funding if efficiencies are gained by systems retirement. The one-time setup fee could be offset by TAP funding while available.
*Rates are effective through August 31, 2017.
Service Level Description
- UW Connect is available 24x7 with minimal downtime for scheduled software updates.
- UW Connect is monitored 24x7. On-call staff handle any outages.
- Request and query response time two business days or less.
- UW-IT responds to incidents within 2 hours.
- HIPAA compatibility: UW and ServiceNow have signed a Business Associate Agreement (BAA).
- FERPA protections are included in the agreement with ServiceNow and Internet2.
UW Information Technology Service Center: UW Tower C-3000 (4333 Brooklyn Ave. NE)
Business Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.