Information technology tools and resources at the UW
The Microsoft Infrastructure is a set of infrastructure capabilities enabling Microsoft technologies. In many cases, the infrastructure capabilities meet business needs regardless of the client platform or technology.
- NETID Domain service. Provides Active Directory Domain Services with integrated UW NetIDs and Groups service groups.
- Domain trusts. UW organizations with an existing domain can request a one-way incoming trust to leverage the authentication, authorization, and directory services provided.
- Delegated OUs. UW organizations can manage and join their computers to the NETID domain service. They retain autonomy and avoid the cost of running their own Windows domain.
- Name resolution services.
- Netbios name resolution via WINS. Available to anyone on campus.
- Dynamic DNS (DDNS) zone services. Available to Delegated OU customers only. No reverse DNS capability.
- Microsoft license activation. Provides Microsoft product activation service via a Microsoft Key Management Server (KMS) tied to the campus agreement.
- LDAP based authentication, authorization, and directory services for application integration (this capability is available, but in containment)
- Federated authentication. ADFS provides logon tokens for Microsoft centric applications that can cross enterprises boundaries. We run this capability in partnership with the Authentication service.
- Azure Active Directory. This component provides multiple capabilities based on emerging technologies and has likely changed in significant ways since we wrote this. Among the capabilities are:
- OpenID/OAuth2/SAML/WS-Federation based authentication
- Phone-based multi-factor authentication (may require additional purchase)
- SaaS application portal with tightly integrated authentication
The services entitled Authentication, Access Management, Directory Services, UW NetID, and Campus DNS all have overlapping capabilities with this service. In some cases, there is tight integration with those other infrastructure services.
UW faculty, UW staff, UW students, Anyone with a UW NetID
How to Order
Hours available: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
This service is included in the Technology Recharge Fee.
Service Level Description
Uptime: Continuous, all days and hours. Service issues will be addressed based on priority and resource availability.
Last Review Date: 05/03/2015