Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Managed Workstation Service
The Managed Workstation Service (formerly Nebula) provides workstation management and assistance along with a core set of services that users of workstations typically find valuable. Managed Workstation provides management for Windows. Managed Workstation provides consulting assistance to both Windows and Mac OS X computers. There are optional service options at additional cost.
Managed Workstation Services is an excellent option for clients who would like the management and user benefits of being in a well-managed environment without the technical burdens. Service levels and rates allow flexibility in managing and reducing your information technology (IT) costs.
Workstation management consists of:
- Providing a hard drive image of a standard operating system1 and supported software (Microsoft Office, Adobe Reader, and antivirus software)
- Operating system updates and troubleshooting
- Centralized software deployment to workstations (Windows only)
- Anti-virus software installation and maintenance
Workstation assistance consists of basic helpdesk support, which typically means assistance for common problems.
Additional services that are included in the core package2 are:
- Virtual Private Network (VPN) provides secure connection to restricted campus services
- Training room for your use on a pre-scheduled basis
1 OS support capabilities are clearly defined in the Operating System and Browser Support document.
2 What is included in the Managed Workstation Services rate vs. what is an additional cost via the consulting service option is covered in detail in the What Does the Managed Workstation Rate Include? document.
Services which are available at additional cost are:
- Managed Workstation file services, including both shared and home directory space. Managed Workstation file services are automatically backed up and there is a self-service file restoration capability provided
- Windows file services. Capacity and continuity for this option are limited, but it does provide self-service access control and other unique advantages over the Managed Workstation file service.
- Managed Workstation consulting consists of workstation or other helpdesk assistance that goes beyond basic support. Typically this is any problem that requires on-site support or takes more than 30 minutes to resolve. We can provide assistance in choosing and ordering new computers. We can re-image your computer with our hard drive image. We can also provide business analysis to help you find IT solutions to your needs.
Note: We previously provided group management services for an additional cost. This option has been retired but you can still manage your own groups via the UW Groups service. If we currently manage your group, we'll transition management to you the next time you request that we make a change.
UW faculty; UW staff; UW researchers; UW clinicians; UW academic units; UW administrative units; UW Medical Center; Harborview Medical Center; Requires a valid UW budget number.
How to Order
Email email@example.com or call 206-221-5000.
Systems providing services are available:
24 hours/day, 365 days/year except for system updates and planned work.
Managed workstations are owned by customers; their availability is controlled by customers.
Support personnel are available:
Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm, except for university holidays.
See the Support Information section for details about how to contact support personnel. Note that you can initiate support requests and incidents at any time, but our availability to respond is limited.
See the Service Level Description section for details about expected response.
|Type of Service||Cost||Per|
|Managed Workstation Computer||$34.50||Computer per Month|
|Manage Workstation File Storage||$0.15||GB per Month|
|Windows File Storage||$0.37||GB per Month|
Price subject to change annually on July 1st.
Service Level Description
Managed Workstation responds to requests in less than four hours, within the period specified in the Availability section.
Our response can be escalated if there is a critical issue. Our goal is to minimize user downtime.
If you experience an interruption in your ability to use your Managed workstation or Managed Workstation services, call 221-5000, and let the UW-IT Service Center know that you are experiencing an issue with your Managed Workstation. This will result in a more urgent notification to our service team, and a quicker response.
Response to interruptions may receive response and action outside the period specified in the Availability section.
How to contact us:
Note that as specified in the 'business hours' link above, you can initiate support requests and incidents at any time, but our availability to respond is limited to the period specified in the Availability section and the Service Level Description section.
Last Review Date: 09/10/2016