Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Amazon Web Services
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a public cloud platform that provides solutions and services such as virtual machines, database instances, storage, and more. AWS is offered under the Internet2 NET+ service agreement through a third party vendor DLT Solutions, Inc., an authorized reseller for AWS.
A “UW-IT AWS Account,” managed under the DLT AWS Portal, allows UW employees (faculty and staff) to create and manage their own AWS account, receive a discount (3-5%), provides access to a Data Egress Waiver, and provides compliance for sensitive and confidential UW data that is regulated by laws such as HIPAA, FISMA and FERPA.
Research usage is eligible for the Indirect Cost F&A Waiver, eliminating any Indirect Costs related to the UW-IT AWS service for sponsored research.
- Migrate existing AWS Accounts to the UW-IT AWS Service
- Establish a new AWS Account under the UW-IT Service
- Data Egress Waiver, which effectively eliminates the standard charges for moving data out of the AWS Service.
- HIPAA Eligible Account, requires special request and approval, and is subject to important operational considerations to meet compliance requirements of HIPAA, the UW BAA, and UW Medicine Compliance Policies.
- Support from DLT, with a 10% surcharge on usage, on a monthly basis. (Support option is enabled by default, and a waiver for support must be requested and approved. This can be done at the time an account is established, or at any time thereafter.)
- The preferred monthly billing method is to use a UW eProcurement Blanket PO.
UW faculty; UW staff; UW researchers; UW clinicians; UW academic units; UW administrative units; UW affiliated organizations; UW Medical Center; Harborview Medical Center; Any group with an approved UW blanket PO.
NOTE: UW students are not eligible for this service, except when working within the scope of UW employment, e.g., as an RA, TA or GSA.
How to Order
Prices for AWS services are set by Amazon and are based on usage. Estimates can be built using the Amazon Web Service Calculator. A nominal discount (approximately 3-5%) is provided, based on the aggregated volume of all universities participating in the Internet2 NET+ AWS Service through DLT.
Service Level Description
AWS services are subject to the Amazon service level agreements, and restrictions, and may depend, in part, on the specific options and configurations in use. See Amazon Service Level Agreements.
Information on security, privacy, and compliance can be found here:
To test or trial AWS directly from Amazon, try the free AWS Trial Tier.
UW-IT NET+ Agreement Features:
Last Review Date: 11/3/2016