Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Get Started: Transition from WebQ Quiz to Google Forms
This tutorial walks you through creating a quiz by using a Google Form, setting it up to receive submissions from users, and viewing submissions. Google Forms can be shared via email, a web link, or with code embedded in a web page. Additional documentation on the tasks outlined here is available from Google. Google Forms is a part of Google Drive. You can review Google Drive best practices here.
- As a security precaution, only those with UW NetIDs are able to upload files to UW Google Forms.
- Google Forms within “Team Drive” do not allow for document collection.
- If you plan to use a Google Form to collect documents, UW-IT recommends using a Shared UW NetID to create the Google Form. This practice is particularly recommended when you plan to collect team or departmental data that you anticipate retaining for a long time.
- In addition to the procedures below, you can learn more about using Google Forms to create quizzes here:
Create a Google Form
- To access Google Forms, go to Google Drive.
- At the top left of the screen, click New, click More, click Google Forms and then select Blank form. This opens a new form.
- To the right of Untitled Question, click the dropdown selector and then select any of the question types available: short answer, paragraph, multiple choice, checkboxes, dropdown, linear scale, multiple choice grid, checkbox grid. You can re-order questions at any time by clicking the 2×3 grid of gray boxes in the center of the question area and then dragging the question up or down.
- Optional. To add another question, click the plus sign to the right of the form. These options allow you to add a title and description, an image, a video, or insert a section in the quiz. To preview how the form will appear to your users, in the top right of the screen, click the eye icon.
- When ready to publish, in the top right of the screen, click Send. You can share the quiz in three ways: via email, web link, or via code that you embed into a web page.
View Quiz Submissions
- To view submitted files, click Responses.
- To receive an email notification when a file is submitted, click the Extras menu (three vertical dots) and then click Get email notifications for new responses. The Extras menu also provides an option to create a spreadsheet for collecting responses. Below is a sample image of quiz responses in a Google sheet.