Information technology tools and resources at the UW
WebQ allows you to download results in several formats. You can specify the following options for downloading your results:
- File format (Excel, CSV, or SPSS)
- Date range or publishing window (the time period during which the survey or quiz is open)
- Type of data (i.e. text or numeric)
- Values for question not viewed and not answered by participants
Use the Quick Excel Download
To download all results in Excel format, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the “Results” page. From the Summary page, click Results in the global navigation.
- On the “Results” page, under “Download Results” click Quick Excel download. The download will begin automatically. When the download has finished, it will appear under “Download Results.”
- Click Download to save the file to your computer. Depending on your browser settings, a “File download” dialog box might appear prompting you to open or save the file. Click Open to view the results with Excel, or click Save to save them to your desktop computer.
Download results as Excel, CSV, or SPSS
When downloading results, WebQ allows you to select the file format, date range, and type of data that you want to download. For file formats, you can choose to download Excel, CSV, or SPSS files. For the type of data, you can select from answer text, numeric variables (1, 2, 3, …), and numeric (binary) data. These options are explained in greater detail below.
Follow these steps to download your results:
- Navigate to the “Results” page. To get to the “Results” page, click Results from the “Summary” page.
- On the “Results” page, under “Download results”, select a file format for your results. You can choose one of the following options:
File format Content treatment Quiz score treatment Download
Results for dates you specify and type of data you choose as a Microsoft Excel file. Question text and answer choices are included as column headers in the spreadsheet, and the data from each question is displayed in a single column, except for in the numeric (binary) data type. The Excel file has basic formatting applied to make the data more readable. Scores are contained in a separate worksheet in the Excel spreadsheet. Download
Results for dates you specify and type of data you choose as a comma separated value file. CSV files can be imported into many different analysis programs. Scores are in columns immediately to the right of the responses. Download
Results for dates you specify, as either numeric or numeric (binary) data, in a format easily imported into SPSS or other data analysis software. Each question and answer is assigned a variable, or code, that appears in the first row. You can view and print the codebook from the “Results” page. For questions with multiple answer choices, each answer choice is given a column and code, and a 1 indicates if the answer was selected. The full text of write-in answers are displayed in a separate column to the right of the numeric data for a question. Scores are not included.
After selecting an option, you will move to the “Download results” page.
- Select a date range for the results you want to download. You can select a date range in three ways:
- All dates: Download survey or quiz results from all publishing windows.
- Only these publishing windows: Download results from one or more publishing window. If you have opened and closed your survey multiple times and received results during these dates, you will be able to choose from several publishing windows. You can select multiple publishing windows by pressing the Ctrl key while selecting.
- Only these dates: Download results from specific date range. Click to open and select a date from the calendar.
- Choose the type of data to download. You can download three types of data:
- Answer text: Displays the actual text of the answer choices, or the abbreviated answers (if any), in the results. For each question, the text of the answer choice(s) a participant selected will be displayed in the column for that question. Write-in answers are preceded by “write-in:”. For questions that allow multiple answers, answer appear in the column separated by commas
- Numeric: Displays a numeric variable in the results. The variable is automatically generated and assigned to each answer choice by WebQ according to the position of the answer choice on the survey or quiz, beginning with 1. Questions that allow multiple answers are displayed in binary format, with a column for each answer choice, and a 1 indicating if the answer was selected. Write-in answers are also assigned a value. The text of write-in responses is displayed in a separate column immediately next to the numeric data.
- Numeric (Binary): Displays a “1” in the results when an answer was selected, and a “0” when not selected. A column is created for each answer choice, and if a participant selected that answer choice, a 1 appears in the column. If it was not selected, a 0 appears in the column. For short and long response questions, the full text of the response is displayed. For write-in responses, two columns are displayed, the first indicating if the write-in was selected, and the second containing the text of the write-in response.
- Specify how questions that participants did not answer and questions that were not shown to participants appear in the results. By default unanswered questions will be given the value “999” and questions that were not seen will be given the value “777”. If you want to change this, you can enter another value.
- Click Download to download your results. You will move to the “Results” page and the file will appear under “Download Results” when ready.
- Click Download to save the file to your computer. Depending on your browser settings, a “File download” dialog box might appear prompting you to open or save the file. Click Open to view the results, or click Save to save them to your desktop computer.
View the SPSS Codebook
The SPSS download contains codes for each answer and answer choice. You can view and print the codebook to refer to as you work with the results. To view the codebook, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the “Results” page. Navigate to the “Results” page. To get to the “Results” page, click Results from the “Summary” page.
- Under “Download Results” click View SPSS Codebook.
- To print the codebook, select File>Print from your browser’s menubar.