Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Create Custom Results Reports
Service notice: All Catalyst Web Tools–except WebQ Survey and Gradebook–will be retired. View timeline and details.
With WebQ, you can easily create custom reports to view specific sets of results. You can filter your results by participant, question, dates, and publishing windows (time periods during which the survey or quiz is open). You can also select how you want to view the data, either organized by participant, question, statistics, or in a spreadsheet with either answer text or numeric data.
About Custom Reports
WebQ’s custom reports feature allows you to select the specific results you would like to view, and the format in which you want to view them. You can apply filters to select the results you want to view. For example, you can select specific participants, questions, or dates from which you want to view results.
You can also choose the format, or organization, of the results you have selected to view. For example, since the quick reports available on the “View Results” page show results from all publishing windows, you can create a custom report to view your results “by participant” or “by question” from a specific publishing window. You can also create a custom report that displays all of your results in “Spreadsheet” view, organized with participants down the left as rows, and questions/answers across the top as columns.
Create a Custom Report
Follow these steps to create a custom report:
- Navigate to the “Results” page. There are two ways to get to the “View Results” page. On the WebQ home page, click the number in the submissions column, or from the Summary page, click Results in the global navigation.
- From the “Results” page, click Custom reports. You will move to the “Create Custom Reports” page.
- Select filters to apply to your custom report. You can select from the following filters:Participants: You can select to display results for all of the participants, or select specific participants from the list provided. The participants are listed according the information WebQ recorded about them; the information can include their name, UW NetID, email address, and participant ID number.Questions: You can select to display results for all questions or select specific questions from the list provided.
Dates: You can select to view results from all dates, view results for specific publishing windows provided, or specify a date range. Click to open and select a date from the calendar.To select a range of participants, questions, or publishing windows, click to select the first item, and then press Shift and click to select the last item. To select multiple individual participants, questions, or publishing windows, press Ctrl while selecting.
- Choose a format in which you want to view your data. You can select the following views:
By participant: This view of your results groups responses by participant. Each table contains the all the questions, and the participant’s response to each question.
By question: This view of your results groups responses by question. Each table contains a question and lists all of the participants’ responses to that question.
Statistics: This view of your results groups responses by question, and displays simple statistics for each question.Spreadsheet – Answer Text: Using the filters you selected, this view lists all participants (as rows), questions (as columns) in one table, and displays the actual text (or abbreviation, if entered) of the answer choice selected by a participant. The text of questions and responses might be truncated. To view the full text of a long question or response, click more and a pop-up will display the full text. Click again to close the pop-up.Spreadsheet – Numeric data: Using the filters you select, this view list all participants (as rows), and questions and answer choices (as columns), and displays numeric variables (1, 2, 3,…) in place of each answer choice. Because this format is not easy to read on the screen, you may find it more useful to download and then analyze the data using your desktop statistics software.
- Click Create report. You will move to the custom report that you selected.
- When finished reviewing your results, click Back to results to return to the “Results” page or click New report to create another custom report.