Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Add Matrix Questions
WebQ allows you to easily create a matrix question for your survey or quiz. A matrix question is a series of questions that share the same answer choices.
About Matrix Questions
A matrix question is a set or series of questions that share answer choices. Matrix questions also provide (if you choose) introductory text for the question series or instructions for completing the set of questions. A matrix question is arranged like a table, where the questions are listed down the left, and answer choices across the top.
There are three kinds of matrix questions:
Matrix – one answer per row (button) restricts the participant to one response per question.
Matrix – multiple answers per row (check) lets the participant select all answer choices that apply for each question in the matrix.
Matrix – one answer per row (menu) restricts the participant to one response per question and displays the answers in a drop-down menu.
Add a Matrix Question to Your Quiz or Survey
Follow these steps to add a matrix question to your survey or quiz:
- From the “Build Survey” or “Build Quiz” page, select Matrix – one answer per row (button) or Matrix – multiple answers per row (check) or Matrix – one answer per row (menu) from the “Add item” drop-down menu.
- If you have already added a question to the survey or quiz, you can select the position at which you want to add the content from the drop-down menu.
- Click Add. You will move to the “Add Matrix Question” page.
- Enter or copy and paste instructions or introductory text for your matrix question into the space provided. Click and drag to highlight text, and then use the toolbar to format the instructions or introductory text as you would like it to appear on your published survey or quiz. You can also add section dividers (horizontal rules), insert images, and create links with the toolbar. View detailed instructions for using the text editor.
Tip: If at any time in the question creation process you want to change your question type, simply select the correct question type from the “Question type” drop-down menu and click Change. Your content will be preserved where applicable to the new question type.
Add Questions (Rows)
Follow the steps below to create questions (rows) for your matrix question:
- Enter or paste the text of each question into the space provided. To save time, you can also create questions with word processing software, and then copy and paste an entire list of questions.
Note: The matrix question format only allows 50 questions (rows). If you copy and paste more than 50 questions, only the first 50 will be inserted.
- You can add additional questions, delete questions, or rearrange your questions. Follow these steps:
Add a question: To add an additional question, click New question (at the bottom of the questions area). A new question space will appear at the end of the existing questions.
Delete a question: To delete a question space, click the remove icon. Please note that empty question spaces will appear on the published survey or quiz with a row of buttons, checkboxes, or a menu, so it is best to delete them if they are not used.
Rearrange questions: Click the up or down arrow to move the questions up or down one space.
Tip: If you already have your questions and answers written as an Excel spreadsheet or Word document, you can save time and effort by copying and pasting the questions or answer options into WebQ all at once. When creating a question, click You can also paste a list of questions (rows). A text box will appear. Paste your questions into the text area, making sure each question is on a separate line. Then click Insert questions. Your questions will appear in the text boxes below with one question per box. Existing questions will be overwritten and question boxes will be added or deleted automatically by the copy and paste tool.
Add Answer Choices (Columns)
Follow the steps below to create answer choices for your matrix question:
- Enter or paste the text of each answer into the space provided. To save time, you can also create answers with word processing software, and then copy and paste an entire list of answer choices.
Note: Matrix questions only allows 20 answers (columns). If you copy and paste more than 20 answers, only the first 20 will be inserted.
- If you are creating a “Matrix- one answer (menu)” question, you can choose to display a prompt (a null option) as the first choice in the drop-down menu. Select Display “Select one” prompt, and then enter a label (such as “Please select”) in the space provided.
- In the “Abbreviated answer” column, enter an abbreviation of the answer text or a code that you would like to be recorded in the results and displayed in reports instead of the full text of the answer choice.
- In the “Show as default” column, select which answer choice to display as pre-selected when participants view and take the survey or quiz. If you do not want any of the answer choices to be selected by default, select “None” in the “Show as default” column (at the bottom).
Note: If you choose an answer to be the default, that answer will always be recorded in the results. In other words, you will not be able to tell if a participant selected the default answer or simply did not respond to the question.
- You can add additional answer choice spaces, delete answer choices, or rearrange your answer choices. Follow these steps:
Add an answer choice: To add an additional answer choice, click New answer choice at the bottom of the step 2 box. A new answer space will appear at the end of the existing answer choices (but above the write-in option).
Delete an answer choice: To delete an answer choice space, click the remove icon. Please note that empty answer spaces will appear on the published survey, so it is best to delete them if they are not used.
Rearrange answer choices: Click the up arrow to move an answer one space, or click the down arrow to move an answer down one space.
- Click Preview to see your question as it will appear on the survey, or Cancel to discard your changes.
- When finished, click Save , to save and return to the “Build survey or quiz” page.
To save time, you can create the questions or answers as a list, and then paste them into WebQ. You can create the list of questions or answers using a word processing program and then paste the list into WebQ, or just type the list into WebQ.
Follow these steps to paste and insert an entire list of questions or answer choices:
- In a word processing program, create a list of your questions or answer choices, with one per line. Click and drag to highlight the whole list, and then copy them.
- Move back to your Web browser where you are working with WebQ. Under step 2 “Add question (rows) and answer choices (columns)” click the link that reads You can also paste a list of question or answer choices to open the paste tool.
- From the browser menu, select Edit > Paste, or use a keyboard shortcut to paste the list of answer choices into the space provided. Alternatively, you can type the list of questions or answer choices directly into the paste tool, with one answer per line.
- Click Insert questions/answers to create your questions or answer choices. WebQ will insert the list automatically adding or removing question or answer spaces if necessary. If you have already entered questions or answers, they will be overwritten.
Choose Settings (Optional)
You have the option of choosing question settings to customize your matrix question. Not all settings are available for all three matrix question types. Below are the descriptions of the settings you can select:
Require a response to this question: Participants will not be able to submit the survey or quiz unless they respond to this question.
Repeat answer choices every # rows: Enter a number to indicate how many questions should appear before answer choices are repeated. Depending on the number of questions in your matrix, you might want to repeat the answer choices more or less frequently. Repeating the answer choices can make it
Allow each answer to be selected only once: Select this option to require participants to choose each only just once from the menu of answer choices. This setting helps to enforce ranking or ordering of answer options. If you use this setting, you must also select to display a “Select one”
Set Quiz Options
If you are building a quiz, matrix questions have some additional options that allow WebQ to automatically score questions and provide students feedback. You can choose when (and if) participants are shown the correct answer and feedback by modifying the participant experience settings.
Correct answer: To have WebQ automatically score your matrix question, you must indicate the correct answer(s). On the “Set quiz options” page in the “Correct answer” column, select the correct answer (or answers) for each question.
Feedback: WebQ can display feedback about a question to participants after they submit their response(s). You can create feedback for this question by entering or pasting text into the space provided under each question.
Click Back to return to the “Edit question” page. When you are finished with your matrix question, click Save.