Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Make a Conversation Sticky
Service notice: All Catalyst Web Tools–except WebQ Survey and GradeBook–will be retired. View timeline and details.
Moderators and administrators can make a conversation “sticky.” A sticky conversation remains at the top of the discussion area, regardless of how the board is currently sorted.
Making a conversation sticky is useful for keeping announcements, instructions, ground rules, or other important information in view at the top of the board. This keeps the information easily available to board participants.
For example, to post ground rules for a discussion board, you can create a conversation with the subject “Ground Rules”, lock the conversation (so no participant can respond) and then make the conversation sticky.
You can make an existing conversation sticky, or start a new conversation and make it sticky.
Make an existing conversation sticky:
- Find the conversation that you want to make sticky.
- Click the conversation subject to view all the messages posted.
- Select Sticky from the “Moderator actions” menu at the top center of the conversation.
If you no longer want a conversation to be sticky, repeat the steps above to toggle the conversation back to normal.
Start a conversation and make it sticky:
- If the discussion board is organized into discussion areas, click the name of the discussion area in which you want to start a conversation.
- Click Start new conversation in the upper right of the discussion board. You will move to the “Start a new conversation” page.
- Enter a subject for your conversation in the space provided. The subject will become a link that other participants will read and click to see the messages posted to this conversation.
- Enter the message in the space provided. You can use the toolbar to format the text, insert images, create links, insert smileys, and more.
- To attach a file, click Attach file under the text area, and then click Browse to locate the file on your desktop computer.
- You can also select another file to attach by clicking Attach another file.
- Under “Moderator actions” select Sticky.
- You can click Preview to see how your post will appear.
- Click Post to post your conversation, or Cancel to discard your changes.