Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Get Started: Transition from Collect It to Microsoft SharePoint
SharePoint is a web-based, collaborative platform that integrates with Microsoft Office and offers a document management and storage system.
Even if you are a beginner with SharePoint, you can grant permissions to people to upload files to your site.
Intermediate to advanced skills are required to:
- automate assignment of permissions
- automate processes
- move uploaded files to a restricted area of the SharePoint site
Get started with SharePoint
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request a SharePoint site.
- While you’re waiting for your site to be created, make a list of people who should have permissions to upload files.
- In your new SharePoint site, add those names to the site members group.
- Add those names to the site members group.
- Select the settings cog and then Site Settings.
- On the Site Settings page, select People and Groups.
- With the Members group selected on the left, select New | Add Users. Use the @uw.edu email address.
Next, you will send the URL for the document library to the users who can upload files.
- On the left side of the page, select Documents.
- Move your cursor into the browser address bar.
- Select the address of the library. It will look something like this:
- Copy the address and paste it into an email.