Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Create an Assignment
Service notice: All Catalyst Web Tools–except WebQ Survey and GradeBook–will be retired. View timeline and details.
Create a new assignment for your dropbox:
- Log in to your Catalyst Tools page and click the title of a dropbox. You will enter the dropbox home page.
- Click Manage, which is located in the global navigation in the upper left. You will move to the “Manage” page.
- Click Edit under “Assignments.”
- Click Create assignment at the top of the assignment panel. You will move to the “Create an Assignment” form to enter information about your assignment.
- Enter a unique assignment title. This title will be displayed to participants.
- Enter instructions for the assignment.
Tip: You can use the rich text editor to include not only text but also images, links, and HTML. Learn more about Rich Text Editor.
- Select the assignment type to be accepted by clicking “Files” or “Links.”
Tip: Once the dropbox has been opened, the assignment type can not be changed.
- Attach “Supplemental files” such as an assignment sheet or other files relevant to the assignment. These can be in PDF, Word, or other formats. Click Browse to upload a file from your computer. A dialog box will appear.Navigate to the file to upload from your computer. The file name will appear after the upload is complete. File names will be displayed as links on the assignment home page.
Click Add another file to add additional files.
- Establish an assignment time line by setting open, due, and close dates.Open date: You can allow access to this assignment “Now,” set the “Open on” date and time, or select “I’ll decide later.” Click if you wish to select an open date from a month view. In this view, the left and right blue arrows will allow you to browse through months chronologically. Select a time to open your assignment (to the nearest 15 minutes) or leave the time as the default (midnight).
Note: Once a dropbox is opened, the date cannot be changed. If you select “I’ll decide later” the assignment will be unavailable until you change this status.
Due date (optional): Set a due date and time for the submission of assignments. Files submitted after a due date will be marked as late.
Close date (optional): Set the close date for the assignment. After the close date, files can no longer be submitted but participants can leave comments.
- You can click Preview to see how your assignment will appear to participants.
- Click Save to save your assignment, or Cancel to discard your changes.