Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Import Students from Canvas to Poll Everywhere
By default, students or other poll-takers must be registered participants to respond to polls. Participants cannot self-register so it will be necessary to import participants using Poll Everywhere’s Canvas integration. Participants may also be added by uploading a .CSV file, directions are available here (external link).
Please note that only valid UW email addresses can be used in conjunction with the Canvas integration. Please make sure that the default email addresses of your students are set to their UW email address in Canvas . Non-UW email addresses and any associated response data will be purged from the UW Poll Everywhere account.
- To log in, enter your UW NetID and click in the Single Sign On message that appears.
- In the upper left area of the page, click Participants.
- Click Add Participants, then, from the options that appear, select Connect to LMS from the options that appear.
- In the Connect to LMS window, select Canvas.
- Choose one of the options that appears:
- If this is your first time making the connection, under Canvas accounts available for your institution, click Login. If asked to, enter your UW NetID credentials.
- If this is not your first time making the connection, under “Your available Canvas logins click https://canvas.uw.edu [login: ] ” ( indicates your UW NetID). If asked to choose Hosted or Self Hosted, choose Hosted.
- To complete the connection, click Authorize.
- Once authorized, from the list that appears, select the desired Canvas course or courses.
This creates participant accounts for students who have never logged in and assigns all students in the selected courses to poll groups that correspond to those courses. Students who already have accounts established will not be affected; they will simply be organized into the correct participant groups. Be sure to import all of your students from Canvas, even those you may have previously imported in a different course. This may take a few minutes to process.
- Designate a default password of seven characters or more for these new participant accounts.
Note: This password should not be publicly distributed and should only be used as for students who have access issues using Single Sign On (SSO) with their UW NetID. UW account holders will use SSO, not the designated default password, to log in. Communicate to your students either via email or in class that they must log in using the SSO login.
- After setting the default password, click Continue to complete the process.
This import will automatically create participant groups, named by course, in your Poll Everywhere account (in the right panel of your participants page, https://www.polleverywhere.com/participants). If you need to re-import student course rosters or re-sync them, follow the same procedure outlined above. We recommend re-syncing frequently throughout the add/drop period as participant groups will not automatically update when students are added to the Canvas course.
- Only students you have imported through Canvas will have scores pushed to the Gradebook.
- Only valid UW email addresses can be used in conjunction with the Canvas integration. Please make sure that the default email addresses of your students are set to their UW email address in Canvas, otherwise no grade data for the student will be exported.
- Non-UW email addresses and any associated response data will be purged from the UW Poll Everywhere account. This information will no longer be available to users in the UW account. Poll Everywhere participant accounts and data cannot be merged with another participant account (e.g. a personal account with responses cannot be merged with the student’s UW account).
If you have issues or questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org with Poll Everywhere Course List in the subject line.