Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Technology Changes – Summer 2017
This summer, Classroom Technology & Events (CTE) has been busy updating technology in Seattle campus general-use classrooms. In these rooms, CTE is installing: HDMI laptop support, modern digital displays, Blu-ray DVD players and document cameras. These efforts are intended to enhance student learning while addressing industry technology changes. CTE is also removing overhead projectors and VHS players in general-use classrooms for the following reasons:
- Manufacturers have discontinued production of overhead projectors and VHS players.
- These technologies are failing at an accelerating rate and are no longer supported.
- CTE has installed new document cameras and replaced (optical) overhead projectors in over 90% of Seattle campus general-use classrooms.
- CTE has replaced VHS players with Blu-ray DVD players in over 95% of Seattle campus general-use classrooms.
The manufacturers’ decisions to cease production and support of these legacy technologies has driven the decision to remove them from classrooms. CTE understands that this change impacts instructors who have used overhead projectors and VHS tapes in the past. To help mitigate these changes, CTE proposes the following:
- New document cameras and Blu-ray DVD players will be installed in classrooms where overhead projectors and VHS players have been removed.
- A self-serve VHS to DVD converter system is available for use in Odegaard Undergraduate Library. Additional support for converting video tape-based content to DVD format may be available from the Media Arcade located in Allen Library North.
- CTE will be holding an open house in Mary Gates Hall, Rooms 282 & 286 during the week of September 18th-22nd, 2017 to offer free overhead projectors and VHS players to campus departments. This batch of retired equipment will be available on a first-come, first-served basis for as long as supplies last. Please note that equipment owned by departments must be moved in and out of classrooms with each use. CTE will supply projector lamps and mylar during the open house while supplies last. No maintenance/repair services will be provided by CTE for this equipment.
- CTE offers personalized Equipment Tutorials for instructors interested in using the new equipment found in classrooms. Simply send an email to email@example.com with “CTE Equipment Tutorial” in the subject line to begin the scheduling process.
Please refer to the CTE Classroom Features website prior to your first class to see an updated list of classroom technology for your specific classroom. Questions can be answered by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Attention CTE” in the subject line. You may also call the CTE Help Desk by dialing 206-221-5000 and selecting Option 2.