Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Read & Write Gold Quick Start Guide
Read & Write Gold provides real-time spell checking, word prediction, word choice and grammatical suggestions, text to speech capabilities, and document reading for PCs.
Starting Read & Write Gold
- Click the Start menu in the lower left-hand corner of the screen.
- Click “All Programs.”
- Click “Accessible Technology.”
- Click “Read & Write Gold.”
(Pressing <CTRL> + <ALT> + <R> will also launch Read & Write Gold.
Using Read & Write Gold
- Start a word processing program, then start Read & Write Gold.
- Click the “Text Help” icon to cycle through the different toolbars: “My Features,” “Study Skills,” “All Features,” “Reading Features,” “Writing Features,” and “Research Features.” Each toolbar has a wide array of appropriate tools for its task.
- Mouse over a tool’s icon to view a short text description.
- Click a tool’s icon to activate it.
- Start Read & Write Gold: Press <CTRL> + <ALT> + <R>.
Quitting Read & Write Gold
Do any of the following:
- Press <Alt> + <F4> when Read & Write Gold is the active application.
- Click the X in the upper-right hand corner of the Read & Write Gold menu.
For help and tutorials, do any of the following:
Press <F1> when Read & Write Gold is the active application.
- Consult the Read & Write Gold user manual, located on the ATC manual shelf.