Information technology tools and resources at the UW
NaturalReader Quick Start Guide
NaturalReader reads content aloud for users who are blind or visually impaired. NaturalReader speaks text copied into its text window and reads from websites and email.
- Click the Start menu in the lower left-hand corner of the screen.
- Click “All Programs.”
- Click “Accessible Technology.”
- Click “NaturalReader.”
Reading Text in the NaturalReader Window
Copy the text to be read into the NaturalReader window.
- Press the “Play” button in the NaturalReader window to begin speaking text, and to pause/resume reading.
Reading Text outside the NaturalReader Window
- Select the text to be read.
- Press <CTRL> + <F9> to read the selected text. Press <CTRL> + <F9> to pause/resume reading.
- Start/Pause/Resume Selected Text Reading: Press <CTRL> + <F9>
Do any of the following:
- Press <Alt> + <F4> when NaturalReader is the active application.
- Click the X in the upper-right hand corner of the NaturalReader menu.
- Click the “File” menu at the top of the NaturalReader window and select “Exit.”
For help and tutorials, do any of the following:
Click on the “Help” menu in the NaturalReader window.
Press <F1> when NaturalReader is the active application.
- Consult the NaturalReader user manual, located on the ATC manual shelf.