Information technology tools and resources at the UW
This page will show you how to back up any existing data, remove your old phpMyAdmin installation, and install the latest software in your UW Web space.
About the Current Version
Versions change often, usually due to security patches, and it is important to try and maintain a recent version of the application.
Currently supported releases of phpMyAdmin can be found here: phpMyAdmin downloads
How To Upgrade
Follow these instructions to upgrade the software in your account:
- Change into your public_html directory:
- Move your old phpMyAdmin installation to safe location:
mv -v phpmyadmin ~/phpmyadmin-bak
- Follow the phpmyadmin installation instructions to install the latest software.
- If there are any files that you expressly made for your previous phpMyAdmin installation, you can now copy them to the new program directory.
- Once you verified that your new install worked, you can go ahead and remove the backup files:
rm -R phpmyadmin-bak