Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Manual Long-term Registration of a Wireless Device
When connecting with most computers or devices for the first time, you will see a “Login with your UW NetID” page. By clicking the “Remember this computer” checkbox and then logging in using your UW NetID and password, your computer will be registered so that it will not be necessary to authenticate each time you connect.
Manual Registration Procedure
However, if your wireless device does not have a Web browser (e.g., some phones, printers), or for some reason you want to directly register your device, you can self-register it by following this procedure:
- Find and record the device MAC address
- Visit the following site, http://register.wifi.uw.edu/guest/mac_create.php, fill out the form and submit it.
- To get a fresh connection, in the device’s wi-fi menu, have it “Forget” or “Delete” its current wireless network connection with the “University of Washington” SSID/Signal (see below for instructions)
- Reconnect to the “University of Washington” SSID/Signal. This should allow you to gain access to the UW Network and Internet.
How to Delete/Forget the University of Washington SSID
- Open the wireless menu by selecting the logo in the right hand corner
- Select the network and right click to bring up more options. Select Forget this network.
- Start Network and Sharing Center
- In the Tasks pane, click Manage wireless networks
- Right-click the connection you want to delete, and then click Remove network
- In the Manage Wireless Networks – Warning dialog box, click OK
- Go to your Applications menu
- Select Settings
- Select Wireless & networks
- Select Wi-Fi settings
- Select Manage networks. This option should show up at the very bottom of the list of Wi-Fi networks available to you at the present time
- Select the network you wish to remove. A prompt will appear on your screen
- From this prompt you will have two options: Forget or Cancel. Select the Forget option
- Select the Wi-Fi symbol along the top menu bar and click on Open Network Preferences at the bottom of the drop down menu
- Click on Wi-Fi in the menu on the left and click Advanced.
- Select the Wi-Fi network you want to delete
- Tap Settings > Wi-Fi and locate the Wi-Fi network to which you’re connected
- Tap and Forget this Network