Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Configure Show On Permission via UW Groups Service
The Show On permission allows calendar editors to share individual events with the calendars for which they have been given Show On permissions. The following explains how it works (see the diagram as a reference):
- The Show On group of a calendar (which is created automatically in the UW Groups Service when a new calendar is created) designates who can share events to that calendar. Editors of the calendar (members in its corresponding editor group) may grant Show On permissions to the editor groups of other calendars.
- The Editor Group for a department calendar within a college (for example the College of Arts & Sciences) is set (by UW-IT) as a member of the Show On group for the calendar of the college upon request when a new calendar is created. Editors of the department calendar can share events up to the calendar of the College of Arts & Sciences and from the calendar of the College of Arts & Sciences down to theirs.
- The Editor Group for the College of Arts & Sciences calendar is set (by UW-IT) as a member of the Show On group for the calendar of UW Seattle Campus Events upon request. Editors of the college calendar can share events up to the Campus Events calendar and from the Campus calendar down to the college calendar.
- The Show On group for the College of Arts & Sciences calendar is set (by UW-IT) as a member of the Show On group for the calendar of UW Seattle Campus Events. Editors of the department calendars in the College of Arts & Sciences can share events up on the Campus Events calendar and from the Campus calendar down to their calendars.
How do I allow other calendars to show their events on my calendar?
To enable editors of other calendars (beyond the default configuration) to show their events on your calendar:
- Open Seattle calendar groups and find the -editor group id of the other calendar. Copy the group id.
For example, the editor group id of “College of Arts and Sciences >> American Ethnic Studies” is u_eventcal_sea_1036552-editor.
- Find your calendar’s -showon group, click on the group id link.
For example, the -showon group id of “College of Arts and Sciences” is u_eventcal_sea_1013649-showon.
- On the landing page, click the purple Membership link.
- In the green Add members input area, enter/paste the appropriate editor group id.
Please allow up to 5 minutes for the target calendar to appear in the “ALSO SHOW ON” list on the Add/Edit Event page.
Likewise, to show your events onto a peer calendar, you may contact editors of the peer calendar (i.e., via their -editor group on Seattle calendar groups ) to configure this on UW Groups Service or send a request to email@example.com.