Information technology tools and resources at the UW
UW Skype for Business (formerly UW Lync)
On this page:
Skype for Business (aka Lync*) is a Microsoft service that provides instant messaging, presence (Busy, Available, etc.), and conferencing with connections to UW users and off-campus users.
For full Skype for Business functionality, you must download and install the appropriate Skype for Business client for your computer or mobile device. The Skype for Business Web Scheduler allows you to create and update meetings in the cloud without a local Skype for Business client. Although you must have a UW Skype for Business account to create meetings, anyone can join a Skype for Business meeting using only a web browser.
*In 2015, Microsoft announced a new version of Lync named Skype for Business.
Skype for Business is included in the Technology Recharge Fee at no additional cost.
- UW Skype for Business is enabled automatically for all current UW students, faculty, and staff.
- Eligible users receive a confirmation email.
- For shared UW NetIDs and sponsored UW NetIDs, accounts will be available on request. Send requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Instant messaging and conference service with connections to UW users and off-campus users
- Cross platform support across PC, Mac, iOS, Android and also web browsers.
Usage Policies and Guidelines
UW Skype for Business is subject to University appropriate use guidelines and electronic records policies. For more information, see Usage Policies and Guidelines for Cloud Services.
UW Medicine Users: Before using UW Skype for Business for patient data, please see the UW Medicine guidance at Being Secure in the Cloud.
Microsoft provides extensive online help for Skype for Business. When using Skype for Business, click the Show Menu arrow, click Help, and then click Lync Help.
The Microsoft Skype for Business help topics catalog provides comprehensive help including, but not limited to:
- Add a contact in Skype for Business
- Change your presence status in Skype for Business
- Send an instant message
- Make or receive a video call
- Set up a Skype for Business Meeting
Skype for Business Quick Reference guides from Microsoft:
- Several useful guides: Quick Reference guides about Skype for Business.
- A guide for mobile devices: Microsoft Skype for Business 2013 for Mobile Clients
- Compare available Skype for Business clients: Microsoft Skype for Business 2013 Client Comparison Tables
- UW-IT can help with access issues and general questions. For assistance, contact email@example.com.
- Mailman Lists for Microsoft Collaborative Applications. Mailman lists that provide the latest information on UW Skype for Business and the other Microsoft Collaborative Applications.